Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick and proven ways to Re-Build Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick and proven ways to Re-Build Credit

You need to get your utilization down below 30 percent over the course of 18 months and no lates. You score will increase.
Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@REALISTICLYSPEAKING2014 wrote:

I for one of MANY members on this forum will tell you it CAN be done and never give up on something you want and you future goals! Financial responsibility wasn't taught to me personally growing up so finally after many years ( I wont share how old I am) have spent the past 2 years cleaning up the mess I got myself into. I will share my short version story.  January 2012. Embarrassed that I have to have my 20 yr old son cosign on an apt with me so he has someplace to live when coming out of college. Embarrassed to say the least. Then a couple months later when I wasn't able to cosign for a student loan for my daughter! That did it! I could fix this and never feel like that again!

Started at 542. (CK FAKO - crappo..lol). 7 Collections, only 2 positive accounts, 18 inquiries and making 60+ grand a year? Go figure...

Today myFico reports me at 648/678/676. Collections gone! You can see my siggy for my current CL's. Today I got the nerve up and applied for a mortgage! (patiently..rather impatiently waiting for answer) I researched, googled, and spend weeks on this forum, reading, posting and learning. This is the place you want to and need to be. Do not let anyone tell you what you already know! This is a rebuilding forum and if you truly want to get out of this mess you have come to the right place!

It is never too late, but like other posts said, learn what NOT to do.

Rebuilding is a LONG process! It takes time, diligence and a budget. when you start to see the results, the feeling is exhilarating!

You just want to tell everyone that you got a CA to remove a collection with a PFD!Smiley Wink Funny, but the only people that really can relate to this is on this forum! Family, freinds and coworkers really dont want to hear about it! At least mine dont! HAHA j/k

Only you can decide if this is important to you and your at the first step! I congratulate you and welcome you to the myfico forums!

Thanks a lot!! Your experience and results have more than just inspired me, I thank you for sharing your experience with me/us! 

I'm on my way to an exceptional credit journey.. Now I've just updated my final destination from lower 700's to upper 700's or lower 800's! Smiley Wink

I see that nothing is impossible if done the right way! Thanks y'all.. Should be thanking my stars to have found this forum! I will keep updating this thread with any changes to my scores (positive or negative)... And I will make sure to follow what NOT to do, and stay away from making bad decisions (no matter how many beers I've had) Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 35
someg33k
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Never, never, ever give up. 

First things first. Lower utilization down to one of the cards reporting just 1-3%. Keep as much as good accounts open and especially the oldest ones. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I used the credit simulator from Cap One (Free) to check if my credit score would change should I pay off all my Credit Cards and it didn't change at all. Smiley Sad 

Is this correct? I will however, consistently continue to pay off all my bills on time! 

@Anonymous simulator is absolute rubbish as are most. I have tried the one at Cap1 myself so I speak from experience. Only one I have found to be accurate at all is the one here @ myFICO.

As others have said read as much as you can here and educate yourself. Develop strict solid credit habits and you will see good positive changes (must be patient!).

Couple years ago my credit was in the toilet in the mid 400's! Could not get a loan to buy a stick of gum. Still have work to do but at least now I am getting approved for decent cards and loans. I had a job loss and was unable to pay my bills, and there went my credit out the window due to credit cards I could not pay.

Now unless a true emergency comes up (emergency does not mean pair of designer jeans Smiley Tongue ) , I do not spend a nickel with my credit cards unless I have the money to backup the purchase. I look at my credit cards as an extension of my debit card.

Oh and I beat myself up a lot as you seem to be. Learn from your mistakes but dont live in the past, move on.

Good luck to you!

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@someg33k wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Never, never, ever give up. 

First things first. Lower utilization down to one of the cards reporting just 1-3%. Keep as much as good accounts open and especially the oldest ones. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, I used the credit simulator from Cap One (Free) to check if my credit score would change should I pay off all my Credit Cards and it didn't change at all. Smiley Sad 

Is this correct? I will however, consistently continue to pay off all my bills on time! 

@Anonymous simulator is absolute rubbish as are most. I have tried the one at Cap1 myself so I speak from experience. Only one I have found to be accurate at all is the one here @ myFICO.

As others have said read as much as you can here and educate yourself. Develop strict solid credit habits and you will see good positive changes (must be patient!).

Couple years ago my credit was in the toilet in the mid 400's! Could not get a loan to buy a stick of gum. Still have work to do but at least now I am getting approved for decent cards and loans. I had a job loss and was unable to pay my bills, and there went my credit out the window due to credit cards I could not pay.

Now unless a true emergency comes up (emergency does not mean pair of designer jeans Smiley Tongue ) , I do not spend a nickel with my credit cards unless I have the money to backup the purchase. I look at my credit cards as an extension of my debit card.

Oh and I beat myself up a lot as you seem to be. Learn from your mistakes but dont live in the past, move on.

Good luck to you!

Thank you! I have just read up a little and am now beating myself up even more! Lol.. How could I have been this stupid? But anyways, like everyone here suggested can't go back and change the past, but I will make some sensible decisions from now on. Thanks for the tip on using the credit cards as an extension of the debit card. It is what I'm going to do from now on! Smiley Happy 

I felt overwhelmed when I first started, but thanks to you all (every single one of you that took the time to respond) I now feel confident about achieving my financial goals!

I will still read more and enlighten myself about attaining 'nirvana' of credit scores! Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 35
dashpt
Frequent Contributor

I agree with what everyone has said.....the number one thing to rebuilding is knowledge!!!! a few years back I knew nothing about credit and the purpose of it as a matter a fact I didn't see the reason behind my SS number...so my now ex-husband made sure he took advantage of my innocence and today i'm paying for it, buuut thanks to myfico I am almost at the point where I can brag about a clean credit, i'm knowledgeable and cautious I only spend what I can afford to pay back.......I use my reward cards the most for everyday needs and pay them back as if they were my debit cards and the other cards I just use once in a while.....also don't worry about the scores, just worry about the report!!! Good luck and remember we are here to encourage each other we all made the same mistakes!!!!  

Cap one secured=200 closed
Cap One unsecured10,000
Wellsfargo1500
Walmart5000
Victoria'ssecrets1850, citicard 6500TU=735,Ex=723,Eq=734
Message 25 of 35
kjel
Established Contributor

Welcome!

Pay your bills on time, every time.

Make a realistic budget and stick to it. It sounds like you could be a little better at managing your finances.

Order your 3 free annual credit reports and go over each of them to ensure you aren't misisng something.

Pay off Barclay.

Paydown the other high balance card to less than 10% and keep it there.

Knock out One Main Financial since I am sure they are charging an arm & a leg in interest.

Don't get hyper focused on your score, focus on the content of your credit reports.

Rebuilding takes time, effort, and a lot of patience. Your scores may go on a roller coaster ride. It's normal.

Read and learn. You can pay Sky Blue or Lexington Law, but they aren't going to do anything you can't do on your own for the cost of some time, stamps, and stationery.

Current Score: TU: 674 | EQ: 722 | EX: 717 | Last Inq. 2/16/15...Locked Up in The Garden
NFCU Cash Rewards $14K | Chase Sapphire Preferred $5K | Amex Blue Cash Preferred $6K | Cap1 Quicksilver One Visa $9K

Message 26 of 35
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Boards!   You've definitely come to the right place to learn more about credit.

Typically, we don't recommend paying for services such as SkyBlue or Lexington Law.   This is because all they can do is hit the dispute button on your behalf.   You could do that on your own.   Of course, we also don't recommend that you dispute valid information, either.  

Since you've already paid Portfolio Recovery Associates, send monthly GW letters to them until they remove.   As long as they're reporting accurate information on your CRs, disputing won't help.   They need to remove it voluntarily, which might happen from GW communication.  As for the past due utility, call up the utility company and see if you can work directly with them to pay it.   

I'm assuming Barclay's is a CO (charged-off) account.   Are you working directly with Barclays or with a CA on this?   If this a CO and is still reporting a balance, it's affecting your UTIL.   It might also be updating, which keeps the derog looking "new."  

I'd also pay Citibank down.  At 80% UTIL, that card is close to what they'd consider maxed out and it is negatively impacting your scores.

Ideal credit UTIL should be <10% on each CC and overall.   Less than half of your accounts should have a posted balance (some even recommend only one CC should have a posted balance).  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

Welcome to the Boards!   You've definitely come to the right place to learn more about credit.

Typically, we don't recommend paying for services such as SkyBlue or Lexington Law.   This is because all they can do is hit the dispute button on your behalf.   You could do that on your own.   Of course, we also don't recommend that you dispute valid information, either.  

Since you've already paid Portfolio Recovery Associates, send monthly GW letters to them until they remove.   As long as they're reporting accurate information on your CRs, disputing won't help.   They need to remove it voluntarily, which might happen from GW communication.  As for the past due utility, call up the utility company and see if you can work directly with them to pay it.   

I'm assuming Barclay's is a CO (charged-off) account.   Are you working directly with Barclays or with a CA on this?   If this a CO and is still reporting a balance, it's affecting your UTIL.   It might also be updating, which keeps the derog looking "new."  

I'd also pay Citibank down.  At 80% UTIL, that card is close to what they'd consider maxed out and it is negatively impacting your scores.

Ideal credit UTIL should be <10% on each CC and overall.   Less than half of your accounts should have a posted balance (some even recommend only one CC should have a posted balance).  

Hey All,

I'm back! Guess what? PRA removed my collections account from TransUnion and my score jumped by 18 points! I'm almost reaching for 600!! I'm just waiting to get the other two scores to check if they've been deleted from them too! I can't seem to order the myFICO credit score monitoring because SkyBlue has been disputing some transactions with EQ and EX. However, I used creditkarma to check my TU score and voila my dereg remarks went from D to A! 0 accounts in collections and the one collection account for the utility has been removed! 

Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Portfolio removed your paid account??? Congrats!!! And details details details please!!!
Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Portfolio removed your paid account??? Congrats!!! And details details details please!!!

So I contacted them via Telephone, Chat and Mail consistently and pressured them to remove my trade line entry. They kept denying that they would ever do that and one rep let it slip once that they have done that in the past and ever since then, I kept sending them letters on top of chat sessions and phone calls. I guess, they got tired of me and removed it. Now, I have no baddies but my utilization is still at about 80% Smiley Sad

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.