Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick credit question need help ASAP.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick credit question need help ASAP.

Here is my situation, I Have a derogatory collection account from  a CA on my credit report for $1,003.00 from an old aparptment. I had talks with the CA trying to get it removed if I paid it in full (I even tried a PFD letter with no luck), they said they could not and would not remove it unless it was a mistake. They were also quite rude so I decided to just go to the OC and pay the money by check. I paid the OC on 6/1/08 and today just got a call from the CA trying to collect the debt that I have already paid to the CA. They are saying that they have not been contacted by the OC that the debt was paid. They are now asking me for the check number, amount, and date so they can call the OC and verify that it was paid so that they can mark it as paid in full and that it wont keep lowering my score every month. So my question is does the negative collection on my CR lower my score every month?  If so would that give me some leverage to have them remove it from my credit since it was paid three months ago, and has still been lowering my score every month even though the debt has been paid.

Message Edited by Maro99 on 08-13-2008 09:33 AM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
bridgetkaryn
Frequent Contributor

Re: Quick credit question need help ASAP.

Hello,

No, as far as I know, a collection doesn't lower yoru score each month... infact, the longer they are on there the older they get and the less they affect your score...

Since you paid the debt, I would contact the original creditor and have them contact the collection agency. You may be able to get the OC to recall the debt from the CA (then the CA would have to remove it as it would no longer belong to them)...  I would play VERY VERY nice with the OC because they are the ones that can help you the most....

Another stratigy, is to get something from the OC showing you paid it, dispute the TL with the CRA, include the "paid" and it may get removed that way.

Just an FYI, if a Collection is marked as paid or unpaid it affects your score the same... You need to really work to get it removed...

hope this helps!
Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont think so.  The effect on your score will actually get less and less as time goes by.  Paying the OC compicated things as they should have refered you to the CA.  Contact the CA and give them the info.  THen, wait until the account is showing paid and send GW letters. 
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick replys! I am going to go to the OC and try to get them to have the CA remove it from my credit. I am also going to get something saying that it has been paid in case they dont remove it I can try and dispute it. If those dont work I will try a GW, my question is who would I send the GW letter to, the CA or OC. The CA told me that they didnt actually buy the debt from the OC and were just contracted by them to try to get the money back for the OC. So I am a little confused as to who the GW should be sent to.

Thanks again for your help and quick replys.
Message 4 of 7
atlastontheroad
Established Contributor

Maro99 wrote:
Thanks for the quick replys! I am going to go to the OC and try to get them to have the CA remove it from my credit. I am also going to get something saying that it has been paid in case they dont remove it I can try and dispute it. If those dont work I will try a GW, my question is who would I send the GW letter to, the CA or OC. The CA told me that they didnt actually buy the debt from the OC and were just contracted by them to try to get the money back for the OC. So I am a little confused as to who the GW should be sent to.

Thanks again for your help and quick replys.

Who's currently reporting?  The OC owned the debt and accepted your payment in full.  The CA has NOTHING to report.  Play nicely, as suggested, with the OC.  Maybe even play a little dumb. 

Best of luck.

atlast....
Ficos 2/17/08: TU 551 EQ 534 EX 587
Ficos 2/12/09 TU 695 EQ 715 EX 715
Fico...4/15/10....drumroll.....EQ 743
Message 5 of 7
bridgetkaryn
Frequent Contributor

I since the CA said that they don't own the debt and have only been contracted to collect it, and you have paid it, you could always dispute it (you don't afterall owe them any money anymore) with a receipt/proof that you paid the debt to the OC and see if that gets it taken off... 

Playing a little dumb and nice will sometimes get those things accomplished!

Good luck!
Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

One important aspect of credit scoring is that, once a negative hits your report, it's done all the damage it's ever going to do. It doesn't keep dragging your score down progressively lower. In fact, as time goes on, its effect lessens, especially after a few months.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.