Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick util ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick util ?

When allowing around 9pct to report on one card, does the 9pct equal to the limit on that card or the total credit line you have on the cra's?

Example- between my 3 secured and QS1 I have a total of 1200 credit line ....so if I say let the QS1 report- do I let it report 9pct of that cards limit (500) or let it report 9pct of 1200 (total credit line between the accounts).

Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Quick util ?

@Anonymous wrote:

When allowing around 9pct to report on one card, does the 9pct equal to the limit on that card or the total credit line you have on the cra's?

Example- between my 3 secured and QS1 I have a total of 1200 credit line ....so if I say let the QS1 report- do I let it report 9pct of that cards limit (500) or let it report 9pct of 1200 (total credit line between the accounts).

Thanks in advance! 

Card limit, not total credit limit.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance! 

So each card I have should report 9%. I have it right now 3 at 0 and one at 7-9%. Thoughts?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

For optimal scoring you only want 1 card to report a balance. You get a ding for each card that has a balance and another ding if more than half of the cards report a balance. Plus a ding if the balance(s) are high.
Message 4 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
For optimal scoring you only want 1 card to report a balance. You get a ding for each card that has a balance and another ding if more than half of the cards report a balance. Plus a ding if the balance(s) are high.

+1

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks in advance! 

So each card I have should report 9%. I have it right now 3 at 0 and one at 7-9%. Thoughts?

Only one card should show a balance for optimal UTI.

HOWEVER, I would also point out that on a damaged credit profile, the point boost you get going from <30% to <10% is minimal. It is also not necessary to continually maintain that "golden UTI%" - just use it to peak your scores before a credit application.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with above^^^ I brought my UTI down to around 15% and saw a pretty big boost but then realized to get the CL increases that I wanted (especially with Discover) I had to use the card more so my UTI went up and score went down. I'm fine with this for now and will maximize UTI in a few months when I'm ready to apply for a mortgage.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.