Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick way to bump score-pay medical or take out cc

tag
Mellochick
Contributor

Quick way to bump score-pay medical or take out cc

What would be the quickest way to bump up a score? Take out a new secured credit card or two and only use a small balance on it and pay on it monthly, or pay off medical debt that is showing up on the CRs? I have no other loans currently just some small debts. Need my score up at least 40 points asap. Any advice would help me!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Quick way to bump score-pay medical or take out cc

40 points is a lot and it will be hard to hit that number but.

Being added as an AU on old accounts with good history and low UTL is a good first step 

Next step work on the baddies 

Can't say weather more secured cards would help unless you care to share what your current profile looks like.Smiley Happy

Care to share? Lol

Baddies?

AAoA?

INQ's in the last year?

TL you have now Car loan, mortgage, CC's, SL, etc?

UTL?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 12
Mellochick
Contributor

Well total debt is around $12k. I have an old CC from 6 years ago that is now with a CA for just under $6k. It's past the SOL but still on there for another year. I also have an old CC charge off that is due to fall off next month. Then I have a few misc things like phone bills and dish for about $1500, then I have medical around $2,000. The medical is the most recent stuff. I have a car loan paid off last year but don't have any other loans or any open CC on my account. Nothing is open and revolving, just some small bills all from $50-$500 each. Just not sure if my best bet is to open a card or two with a small like $300 limit or to pay off some of these smaller debts.

Message 3 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Mellochick wrote:

Well total debt is around $12k. I have an old CC from 6 years ago that is now with a CA for just under $6k. It's past the SOL but still on there for another year. I also have an old CC charge off that is due to fall off next month. Then I have a few misc things like phone bills and dish for about $1500, then I have medical around $2,000. The medical is the most recent stuff. I have a car loan paid off last year but don't have any other loans or any open CC on my account. Nothing is open and revolving, just some small bills all from $50-$500 each. Just not sure if my best bet is to open a card or two with a small like $300 limit or to pay off some of these smaller debts.

Ok 

Offer PFD's to any of the small CO/CA's 

So currently you have no revolving accounts?

Lets start with something easy to get that won't require a HP and has great rates, reports to all 3 CB"s

https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards

You'll need at least 1-2 accounts either revolving, installment etc etc 

Are there any good accounts on CR's currently?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 12
Mellochick
Contributor

I don't have anything revolving right now. The only good thing is the car that was paid off last year. Only made like 9 months of payments and paid it off. Shows paid and closed. Other than that, I have no open CC and just these few debts.

Message 5 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Mellochick wrote:

I don't have anything revolving right now. The only good thing is the car that was paid off last year. Only made like 9 months of payments and paid it off. Shows paid and closed. Other than that, I have no open CC and just these few debts.

That's what I'm looking for closed accounts in good standings.....any more?

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 12
Mellochick
Contributor

Nope just the one. Never had any other loans.

Message 7 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Mellochick wrote:

Nope just the one. Never had any other loans.

Ok so if you can get the secured card with SFDCU you'll have 2 accounts in good standing working in your favor 

Make the deposit as large as possible when opening so it looks better on CR's 

The rest is working on your CR's to get some of the baddies removed and any AU's you can get 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 12
Mellochick
Contributor

won't taking out a card hurt my score though? I know that it will eventually gain points but initially, won't it hurt me? how much shoudl my score jump after getting some of these baddies off of here?

Message 9 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Mellochick wrote:

won't taking out a card hurt my score though? I know that it will eventually gain points but initially, won't it hurt me? how much shoudl my score jump after getting some of these baddies off of here?

The card I recommended does not require a HP it will probably drop your score a few points when the new TL reports to CR's 

However for other CC or secured card product which causes a double score drop from the HP and then again from the new TL reporting this one does not. 

If you can get the AU's tho you would see a good jump is scores and the new TL would help as well...

Just an assumption on my part and excuse me if i'm wrong but seeking 40pts ASAP ....says mortgage shopping....How's my guess? Lol

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.