Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quicken freshstart advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quicken freshstart advice

I recently applied for a mortgage with Quicken loans and was 5 points away from approval.  The loan officer suggested that I work with their freshstart service and I subscribed.  Actually it has been very helpful.  The advisor there has given me some great advice and my scores have gone up by following it.  However, there is one thing he said today that confuses me.  I had an old collection account that just aged off my credit reports.  My TransUnion score jumped 25 points overnight.  I was very excited until I spoke with him - he told me that the credit reports that I order from myFico are not accurate and that a lot of things are missing and that it is not unusual for old collections to stay on your report for 10 - 20 years.  I explained to him that the collection account was on my TU report 6 weeks ago and it's not on the new one so it must be deleted.  He stuck to his story and told me that only the "real" credit report that the lenders pull are accurate.  He told me not to be surprised if that old collection is still be on my report if I reapply for a mortgage now.  It used to be that I just had to worry about the score being correct and now it appears that I have to be careful where I order the actual report from too.  Does anyone know if his statements are accurate?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Quicken freshstart advice

Hi, BJH.  I'm in your shoes except I need 11 points, not 5.  My LO is also saying that what she sees is not what I see.  I figured she just doesn't know about "myfico" and how accurate is is said to be.  I will find out soon, I guess.  I do know when she pulled my EQ score it was 609 and Myfico said 600.  Pretty close, but when you're down to just a few points, as we both are, it really does matter.  Good Luck 2 U.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was really discouraging is that I pulled my TU report and score from myFICO today and it shows that the score is now 14 points higher than the cutoff.  I'm going to talk to the loan officer tomorrow to see what he thinks I should do.  I've learned that preapprovals mean very little because the application has not gone to the underwriter and he/she is the person who makes the final call.  The letter simply means your score meets the cutoff criteria, but it is no guarantee that you will get the loan. 

Message 3 of 4
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

The Lo may be right about the score. But if the collection is off ur reports here the only way imo that they may still see it is if experian has not deleted the account & they review the trimerge. Don't be alarmed if ur TU score doesn't match. Some peoples is higher some are lower-depends. My fico uses tu 98 & I think quicken uses tu classic 04. In my situation, my tu score here was 621 and tu 04 has a 590!! My EQ score does match the scores here. Best of luck to u!

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.