Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RANT] Credit "Repair" Service

tag
kaybean22
Valued Member

[RANT] Credit "Repair" Service

So long story short, I was recommended to check out a new online service offering credit repair. It's launching in January as a do-it-yourself credit repair kit, but for now the "team" is offering custom credit repair. I pretty much know all the tricks in the trade by now (Just settled a closed CC for 50% of the balance! Woo!!) But thought I'd send them my info to see what they can do.

I've been emailing back and forth, and he pretty much just said he could help me with my collection (which I already PFD'd) and "settle" my 6+ year old CO from 2008 that I can backdoor my way in to deleting early in about 6 months. He can't help me settle my other closed CC or get it reopened (which is on my list of to-do's once I get some clients to pay me this month) or get my obnoxious loan settled (which is something else I can do -- same bank as closed CC -- just need the cash.)

He wanted to charge 2k to help me, and because I know the admin girl on his team, I don't want to piss anyone off, but I want to say "well I can do A, B, and C on my own -- did you know that was possible? Oh, btw, I already did X, Y and Z -- could you have done that?

F* these services. They are so useless! I feel bad for average consumers. They totally get scammed by these guys. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: [RANT] Credit "Repair" Service

Excuse me, did you say 2k? As in 2,000.00?? American dollars??? And here I am critical of Lexington Laws fees. There are some reputable, inexpensive options out there, but daaayum. Did you get a good look at his forehead? Because he clearly whacked his head in the shower that morning, and a hit like that is bound to leave a mark. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Excuse me, did you say 2k? As in 2,000.00?? American dollars??? And here I am critical of Lexington Laws fees. There are some reputable, inexpensive options out there, but daaayum. Did you get a good look at his forehead? Because he clearly whacked his head in the shower that morning, and a hit like that is bound to leave a mark. 

There are plenty of suckers out there willing to pay such fees.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know. Nerd alert...I research things to death before committing to anything like that. You can't blame a dog for being a dog. So do your homework to know what kind of dog you've got.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am with you , Lexington Law got me for about $500.00 before I realized they were charging my credit card $79.00 per month and only disputing 1 item at a time. LOL losers. 

Message 5 of 9
kaybean22
Valued Member

Mothereffers. I spent about 3 hours emailing back and forth with this guy and picking his brain on what he could and could not do, with his admin girl jumping in whenever I'd cut the conversation off and she'd ask "So, Guy, how much can we raise her score?" and he wouldn't resond. I already told I had removed my collection with a PFD and settled a CC for just above 50%. I think he realized he couldn't really help me beyond what I could do myself (or probably...I could do more than him!)

I finally Googled him and found he goes by several different services, one based in LA, and pays for his Yelp reviews. I'm good friends with our local Yelp community manager (the girl who does Twitter, organizes events, etc) and tempted to flag him. 

Wish we could do that for all of them....

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you have to pay your yelpers, you are a true dirt merchant. Ugh. But.....didn't it feel grand to show him you knew more about it than he did? You gotta giggle a bit at that.
Message 7 of 9
kaybean22
Valued Member

You have NO idea! I was laughing for hours. Was a good reminder I know my way around this stuff better than a "professional." Also was a good reminder to stop listening to everyone who keeps telling me to call a "financial expert."

Um, no. I got this. It's not going to fix itself overnight, but I know my way through loopholes and backdoors and how to make things happen FAST (well, relatively speaking). I know I got myself into a mess, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to get myself out of it. Unfortunately, those "experts" can only play by the book...and charge you an insane amount to work VERY slowly...

Message 8 of 9
MarylynMonroe
Valued Member

I went with Lexington Law.... they robbed me blind. Disputed nothing. Sent all the letters to the wrong addresses so they came back to me RTS. Ended up having to file for BK anyway. I don't recommend them to anyone. My scores actually tanked while they were helping me.

BK Discharge: 8/2015

Starting Score: EX 526 EQ 495 TU 444
Current Score: EX 601 EQ 578 TU 600
Goal Score: All 750 and above

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.