cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REALLY BAD CREDIT SCORE..CAN ANYONE GIVE ME POSITIVE ADVICE?

tag
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: REALLY BAD CREDIT SCORE..CAN ANYONE GIVE ME POSITIVE ADVICE?

@Anonymous wrote:

@jordanmedical wrote:

Which report did they pull?

Im not exactly sure

Capital One pulls all THREE reports. 

You've been given some really good advice so far.  I'll only add that when rebuilding, you shouldn't stress over your scores so much but concentrate more on removing the bad stuff and obtaining some good stuff.  Your scores are going to fluctuate so much while rebuilding it will drive you nuts.  You may get an old charged off credit card to agree to delete, but it was your oldest card so instead of helping your score, you could see it drop.  Disputes take certain items of scoring methods, to build new credit you have to apply and open accounts.  You'll get dinged for inquiries and new accounts.  So it's very disheartening to focus only on the scores sometimes.  What you think should help your score sometimes has the opposite affect.  Clean up the reports, obtian new positive credit, USE your cards, pay your bills on time ALL THE TIME, apply for credit you NEED not WANT and the score increases will come. 

The tips on getting 2-3 cards and letting only one report the small balance is sound.  But you really only need to do that when you NEED to optimize your score so that you can apply for credit.  If you're not applying for anything then don't stress out making sure only one card reports a small balance.  Use the cards as much as you want through out the month, without going over the limits, and keeping the balances in line with what you can afford to pay back.  When I first started rebuilding, I would use my cc for something and write the amount charged in my check book as though I had used my debit card.  Then at the end of the week I'd pay off the weekly cc charges.  Card got usage and I didn't pay interest.   If I remember correctly, my first post BK card had a $500 limit on it.  I would easily run $1000 or more through it over the month and not ever go over the limit because of the multiple payments.  The utilization game can be very tiresome at times.  Don't stress it unless you are getting ready to apply for something. 

Being oganized while rebuilding is a tremendous plus.  In the beginning you want to get your baseline FICO scores (looks like you did that) and figure out your AAoA.  Make a chart or list of all the baddies.  Figure out dates of first deliquencies, chart all of this.  Excel was my best friend.  Subscribing to a credit monitoring service that allows you to pull daily reports for free are key.  SW is ok, but you can't get free daily pulls, use SW for Scores but find a good service for monitoring your reports for all of the changes. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 41 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, all of this information is so helpful!  HUGE thanks to OP for starting this thread!

Message 42 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kjm79 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jordanmedical wrote:

Which report did they pull?

Im not exactly sure

Capital One pulls all THREE reports. 

You've been given some really good advice so far.  I'll only add that when rebuilding, you shouldn't stress over your scores so much but concentrate more on removing the bad stuff and obtaining some good stuff.  Your scores are going to fluctuate so much while rebuilding it will drive you nuts.  You may get an old charged off credit card to agree to delete, but it was your oldest card so instead of helping your score, you could see it drop.  Disputes take certain items of scoring methods, to build new credit you have to apply and open accounts.  You'll get dinged for inquiries and new accounts.  So it's very disheartening to focus only on the scores sometimes.  What you think should help your score sometimes has the opposite affect.  Clean up the reports, obtian new positive credit, USE your cards, pay your bills on time ALL THE TIME, apply for credit you NEED not WANT and the score increases will come. 

The tips on getting 2-3 cards and letting only one report the small balance is sound.  But you really only need to do that when you NEED to optimize your score so that you can apply for credit.  If you're not applying for anything then don't stress out making sure only one card reports a small balance.  Use the cards as much as you want through out the month, without going over the limits, and keeping the balances in line with what you can afford to pay back.  When I first started rebuilding, I would use my cc for something and write the amount charged in my check book as though I had used my debit card.  Then at the end of the week I'd pay off the weekly cc charges.  Card got usage and I didn't pay interest.   If I remember correctly, my first post BK card had a $500 limit on it.  I would easily run $1000 or more through it over the month and not ever go over the limit because of the multiple payments.  The utilization game can be very tiresome at times.  Don't stress it unless you are getting ready to apply for something. 

Being oganized while rebuilding is a tremendous plus.  In the beginning you want to get your baseline FICO scores (looks like you did that) and figure out your AAoA.  Make a chart or list of all the baddies.  Figure out dates of first deliquencies, chart all of this.  Excel was my best friend.  Subscribing to a credit monitoring service that allows you to pull daily reports for free are key.  SW is ok, but you can't get free daily pulls, use SW for Scores but find a good service for monitoring your reports for all of the changes. 

If you have a Cap One card then they offer a monitoring service for free. If you want the number, PM me and I'll give it to you.

Message 43 of 57
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have a Cap One card then they offer a monitoring service for free. If you want the number, PM me and I'll give it to you.

Isn't that the MyCreditInform service? At least that's what I got offered, and while they're offering me a discount they're taking it off my card every month... if it's supposed to be free I'm going to give somebody a call. Smiley Very Happy

Message 44 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delayedinsanity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Isn't that the MyCreditInform service? At least that's what I got offered, and while they're offering me a discount they're taking it off my card every month... if it's supposed to be free I'm going to give somebody a call. Smiley Very Happy

That was my understanding from some other members of this board. I also thought that's what the CSR posted during our online chat last night. Then again it was pretty late and I'm pretty sleep deprived. I didn't call the number he gave me last night. So, I couldn't verify that either way.

Message 45 of 57
delayedinsanity
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That was my understanding from some other members of this board. I also thought that's what the CSR posted during our online chat last night. Then again it was pretty late and I'm pretty sleep deprived. I didn't call the number he gave me last night. So, I couldn't verify that either way.

I completely didn't mean to seem like I was calling you out on that, so if I did I apologize! In all fairness I am curious because I remember thinking that was the spiel they gave me when I got my card; that it was supposed to be free for having a card with them. Then I started getting charged and I just haven't canceled it yet because I want to see if it's useful for more than just a quick look.

Message 46 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@delayedinsanity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I completely didn't mean to seem like I was calling you out on that, so if I did I apologize! In all fairness I am curious because I remember thinking that was the spiel they gave me when I got my card; that it was supposed to be free for having a card with them. Then I started getting charged and I just haven't canceled it yet because I want to see if it's useful for more than just a quick look.

No worries! Don't feel bad at all. I never want to give anyone bad or wrong advice and try my best not to. So, I don't mind being corrected at all. It was my understanding from other members as well as the chat with the CSR I had last night that it was a free service. And having said that, I've read so much over the past few weeks and talked to so many different people (on top of being sleep deprived) that I could honestly be getting my info mixed up Smiley LOL

Message 47 of 57
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Credit karma is free to check your score but the advise is blaaa .. It's safe, my lawyer gave it to me and I have had no problems, although I notice it to be lower than experian, and equifax and trans union, probably closer to what the actual is.
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 48 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

JUST SO YOU KNOW, you are not alone...I am a FICO joke.  Like you said got to start somewher.

Thanks! It feels good to have a support team!!

Message 49 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lasardo wrote:
Have you pulled your credit report with all the bureaus? . I have gotten 11 things removed from report including a judgment just by disputing them, I tried on my own but am now using lexingotn law.. $99 a month and I saw results in a week. I didn't know you could remove a judgment? Edited . Need some lawyers on our side that know what they are doing.

No, I havent pulled all 3..but im trying my best to stay away from those debt consolidation companies..I was told your score drops like 100 points when you deal with them

Message 50 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.