Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REMOVAL OF SOMETHING ON MY FICO REPORT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

REMOVAL OF SOMETHING ON MY FICO REPORT

I learned the other day that a bankruptcy is on my report, which I never went thru with.

My score is not the best, but how do I remove this??

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: REMOVAL OF SOMETHING ON MY FICO REPORT

Your credit report is maintained by one of the three CRAs, not FICO which only issues the FICO score.

You would need to pull all three reports (EX, EQ, TU) and see which of these have the inaccurate information.  For the CRAs that do have it, initate a dispute with the CRA.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Any inaccuracy is disputable.  You have two options... file a direct dispute with the party who reported the inaccurate information, or file a dispute through the CRA.

I would recommend the direct dispute process, if at all possible, as it has benefit over a CRA dispute.  However, that requires knowing who reported the inaccurate information.  Being a public record, you may not know who reported, and thus may have to file your dispute through the CRA.

The CRA knows the identity of the reporting party, and is required to forward a copy of your dispute to them for their investigation and response.  Thus, if you dont know their identity, you use the CRA to contact them.

The CRA then has the responsibility to determine the ultimate accuracy, in their reinvestigation, of the disputed information.  If the furnisher does not respond with verification, the CRA could ether delete on that basis, or condect their own  reinvestigation of public court records and make their own determination as to whether their is an actual discharge of BK order on file with the court.

Message 3 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  Disputes to the CRAs are a last resort due to problems and confusion they seem to cause down the road.  Don't get me wrong, disputes are sometimes a necessary and valuable tool, but sometime people are to quick to jump into them.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.