Established Member
rainbowbrite

REPO paid off

So, I paid my guys Car repo off.  I paid off the full amount of the charge off I did not take just pay this amount.

He said last year he had to pay taxes on the amount that was written off.  I know for a fact nothing was written and the full car loan was paid off.

I didn't know he paid it and second I paid the amount.

Is this legal and what should or who should i contact about this?

I didn't know until now about this, When the loan was paid off they sent me the title of the car. 

thanks

Valued Contributor
Repo-ed

Re: REPO paid off

I may just be really tired, but I do not understand what you typed.

Mega Contributor
LS2982

Repo-ed wrote:

I may just be really tired, but I do not understand what you typed.

+1

little lost as well....

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Established Member
rainbowbrite

ok sorry,

My guy had a car......he fell behind 1 month on the payment.  Chryseler put the car into repo mode because of the late fee never paid.  I in turn called chryselor and paid the entire 12,000 loan off.  I did not do it for a lesser amount ie. 20% of loan amount.  They said I can take a reduction but it would said PAID but with lesser charge off amount.

I chose to pay the entire amount so the CR would reflect this repo-paid in full.

I thought if you do not pay the entire amount due, one would have to pay taxes on the unpaid loss.

There was no unpaid loss, I paid the entire loan, so no taxes should of been paid on the repo.  This is what I assume.

Hope this helps

Established Contributor
jimbo831

Yes, if you paid in full, there should be no tax implications.  Are you saying that he was charged tax by the IRS?  If so, the OC should have sent him a 1099-C showing the forgiven amount.  Did he get one of those?  If so, I would start by contacting the OC and if necessary, the IRS.

Gardening with: PSECU Combo $1k, Chase Freedom $3.5k, Discover It $1.7k, Amex Costco True Earnings $2k, Capital One Platinum $500, Best Buy Store Card $2.7k

Starting Score: FICO: 587 EX, 594 EQ, 632 TU, 2/15/12; USAA FAKO: 525 EX, 541 EQ, 525 TU, 2/15/12
Current Score: FICO: 678 EX, 629 EQ, 658 TU, 3/27/12; USAA FAKO: 721 EX, 721 EQ, 576 TU, 3/9/12
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board and Amex Zync or Costco By The End Of 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Member
rainbowbrite

No I don't think he did.  He said he paid the taxes.  I will look into this tomorrow.  Thank you

Established Member
rainbowbrite

yes, he was charged by the IRS.  And paid taxes on the amount I paid.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Probably the 1099-C crossed paths with the payment in full. He needs to contact the IRS and show proof it was paid in full (e.g. last statement, CR balance amount, or anything that shows the full balance from the creditor) and include a copy of the payment (e.g. check copy, payoff letter). The IRS will then void out the 1099-C and return the taxes.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}