Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPM collection

tag
vmoore0607
New Contributor

RPM collection

I have a bill from AT&T and I received a letter from RPM. It was with another collection agency. The agency removed from my CR. I want to catch the bill before RPM reports to my CR. Is that possible? RPM told me only if it was paid in full that it won't report. RPM also told me they do not own the account and instead work on behalf of AT&T, that they never bought the debt from AT&T. Because they didn't buy the debt, they can only offer me a 40% settlement. I'm thinking that they were lying to me and because of that, I want to hit them with a complaint or possibly a PFD.

Not sure where to go. Can anyone help!!?? Please
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: RPM collection

Lied to you about owning the debt, or about what they were authroized to agree to in a settlement?

Whether or not they are truthful on those points is immaterial to their acceptance of a PFD.  If you have a successul basis for complaint, it would not relate to the validity of either the debt or of their collection authoriyt per se, and thus would not be the basis for requiring CR deletion.

Settling of less and/or granting CR deletion are optional and discretionary on their part.

Message 2 of 6
vmoore0607
New Contributor

They lied about owning the debt.
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When they sent dunning notice, who was identified as the party who owned the debt, and thus who they were collecting on behalf of?

Is the OC reporting, and if so, are they reporting a $0 balance?

Have you had confirmation from the OC that they no longer own the debt?

Message 4 of 6
vmoore0607
New Contributor

I talked to AT&T today and they said they didn't own the debt. The guy was so helpful. He even told me what price they sold the debt to the collection agency at.
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then if you feel that they are being deceptive as a tactic to further collection of the debt, you could file a formal complaint with the CFPB.

However, you are seeking their good-will acceptance of your request for deletion, and/or of acceptance of less than the full debt as settlement.

Result may be a slap on their wrist, but I do not anticiapate any order by the CFPB of deletion of their collection as a sanction.  That is, in my opinion, an unrelated matter beyond the scope of the CFPB admin process.

Thus, I would not take the path of filing a complaint, as it is not apt to improve their feeling of good will.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.