cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raise FICO while decreasing Util - How fast should I pay them down?

tag
REALISTICLYSPEAKING2014
New Contributor

Raise FICO while decreasing Util - How fast should I pay them down?

OK...so just a quick question about overall utilization decrease - I have the following NEW accounts open (showing balance and also inlcuded are the CL) all but one opened since Feb 2014:

Amazon – 550 /600.00 (this is not reporting yet - new account just opened to purchase a computer for business purposes)

Walmart 251.00 / 400.00

Nfcu – 2700 / 3000 (this was opened in June 2014 to pay a CA account - DELETED 2 weeks ago!)

Nfcu – 300 / 500.00

Cap 1 200 / 361.00

Capi 1 182 / 300.00

Above are my current debts - I assume it is close to 65% Util as I also entered the current accounts that are reporting zero or a small balance..I have budgeted myself to paying all of these down within 2 months to 0 with keeping only one at 1-9% per myfico forum advice, however I dont know after reading all the different posts if I should pay them that quickly? While I want and need the FICO increases, aaccording to the myfico simulators on all 3 CRA's, if I pay that quickly my scores only rise a small amount? I have the ability to pay, but I do want my scores to continue to rise...(thats what we are here for right?)

Advice please on how to go about paying these debts...

I have a great DTI ratio as the only other account listed is a auto loan that was also just opened in March 2014.

Thanks in advance for suggestions...

Myfico scores 1.9.15 EQ 657 EX 688 TU 700
NFCU Plat Visa 15,000 | NFCU Cash rewards 15,000 | Lowes 7500 | Fingerhut 1100 | Amazon Store Card 1,500 | Discover IT 1300 | CAP 1 Qsilver 1300 | JC Pennys 1500 | Dressbarn 1100 | Walmart 2500 | Kays Jewelers 500} Mattress One 4500 \ Ashley Furniture 1500 \ American Home Furnishing 2000
Loans:
NFCU Auto 30,000 | NFCU Nav check 15,000 | NFCU Debt Cons 4100 |

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
cluelessoregonguy
Contributor

Re: Raise FICO while decreasing Util - How fast should I pay them down?

My understanding is that score increase/decrease from utilization is stateless so I would think just as soon as possible on everything. If you give priority to the accounts with upcoming statement generation dates it should get util in line on the reports as each account reports without having to wait an extra month for the next statement date. AFAIK decreasing util slowly to 9% left on a single card will get you to the same place as just taking care of it now.

Those smarter than I feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Message 2 of 3
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: Raise FICO while decreasing Util - How fast should I pay them down?

FICO simulators are for entertainment purposes.  Smiley Wink  There are 2 factors to consider when it comes to utilization...Overall utilization and utilization by TL.  According to the scoring methods as I understand them, you have 2 cards that are considered maxed out (Amazon and NFCU) because your utilization on those TL's are at 90%.  That is certainly dragging your score.  My recommendation is to pay all but 1 of your TL's down to $0.  Whether you do that in 1 month or 6, you will essentially land in the same spot from a scoring standpoint.

Remember however, the aging of TL's and their subsequent appropriate use, will also return scoring improvements incrementally.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.