Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cap One/ Settlement?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Greetings all. I am in need of help/advice. I had a Capital One CC that has been charged off since 2006. My intial LOC was $200, but through late fees and interest is has climbed to $895 as of today. I recently got a settlement offer from Plaza Associates for about 40% off. Seeing other forums, I sent them a certified DV letter. They sent me a printout of all my bill statements from Capt One. I sent them a second letter to once again properly validate. I received a letter with Capital One letter head stating that they verified and I owe it. The letter looked fake and it wasnt even in color, capt one usually sends official correspondences in color. I called the toll free number at the bottom and it said it was Sewell and Associates???

I am trying to get a mortgage in the next few months and the mortgage company said they project a 100+ FICO score increases from all three bureaus which would put me in prime financing with a good rate.

My question is should I PIF or Settle? I tried calling Capt One and they said they cannot do anything since the account has been charged off and sold so many times.

Time is against me as we are trying to start the process in March

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
IOBA
Senior Contributor

1.  Sounds interesting and unlikely the letter from was from Cap 1.  Did Cap 1 acknowledge sending it?

2.  To close on a mortgage, you will most likely have to pay off the debt.  

3.  40% is not bad of a deal, but I would ask for PFD with 100% payment.

4.   If it is a PFD, that is the ONLY way I can see your FICO scores jumping 100 points.  Paying it off or settling it probably wont' have much impact on your scores.

5.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.