Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Judgement

tag
cp79
Valued Member

I've been reading about judgements in my state of New York and I've found that a judgement will stay on my credit report for 10 years. January will mark the 7th year on my report, so I want to pay off this judgement but the company that filled it against me no longer exist. I've also read that I can pay the court and they will mark the judgement satisfied. But I don't want to do this unless the original person is going to get reinbursed. What should I do?

Starting Score: 564
Current Score: TU- 676, EQ-643 MyFico
Goal Score: 700's

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not familiar with an ability to "pay the court" the judgement amount.  The judgement is awarded to the plaintiff and the state has no financial interest in it.  They do not act as collection agents, that I am aware of.

Message 2 of 6
QueenBean
Regular Contributor

I'm not an attorney, but any change of re-opening the case because the judgement is impossible to satisfy?

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cp79 wrote:

I've been reading about judgements in my state of New York and I've found that a judgement will stay on my credit report for 10 years. January will mark the 7th year on my report, so I want to pay off this judgement but the company that filled it against me no longer exist. I've also read that I can pay the court and they will mark the judgement satisfied. But I don't want to do this unless the original person is going to get reinbursed. What should I do?

What you suggest is usually possible in NY, but it is at the court's discretion.

You should document attempts to contact the judgment creditor and / or the judgment creditor's attorney.  If you can show a listed telephone number no longer exists and mail is returned by the Postal Service with no forwarding address, take that to the court clerk and ask them about giving them a check or money order for the full amount of the judgment. 

Most of the time they will ask you to also include a letter addressed to the court and once you give them good funds they will satisfy the judgment and give you a copy.  Sometimes they will do it the same day, but sometimes they ask you to come back in a week or so. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@QueenBean wrote:
I'm not an attorney, but any change of re-opening the case because the judgement is impossible to satisfy?

No.  Generally judgments in NY can be vacated only for jurisdictional issues such as defective service.
Message 5 of 6
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

Because you're in NY (like me), once the judgement is paid it will drop off your reports (because paid collections, charge-offs and judgements drop in 5 years), so you should definitely find a way to pay it if you can!
Current scores: EQ 736, TU - 732
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.