Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-aged Collection Account (maybe)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re-aged Collection Account (maybe)

So I received notification from my credit montoring service that I have a new collection account listed on all three CRAs.  The CA is Stellar Recovery, and it's regarding a small Comcast account from about five years ago (the SOL where I am is five years).  The account has been listed on my TU report since 2009, with CCS Collections as the CRA.  So it's obvious to me that Stellar is a JDB and that they purchased the account from CCS.

One thing that's thrown me for a loop here is that  I never received a dunning letter from Stellar.  This is probably because I moved last year.  I have received phone calls from them, but they've never left a message; I had to Google the number after the fact to learn it was them.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the account has been re-aged.  My credit monitoring service shows me my reports online, but they're not exactly comprehensive; all I see is a "Status Date" of 12/14, but no drop-off date, DOFD, etc..  Should I order hard copies of my reports?  If so, what's a reputable place to order them from (for free, if possible).      

I'm looking for a good first step to get these entries off my reports.  They're the only negative items I've got, and before they were added, my score was in the mid to high 700s.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Re-aged Collection Account (maybe)

This site is authorized by federal law to provide all three credit reports for free once a year. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action Also if it is valid, you may want to try to work it out with Comcast first. Ask them to recall the collection and then pay them.

Message 2 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

So I received notification from my credit montoring service that I have a new collection account listed on all three CRAs.  The CA is Stellar Recovery, and it's regarding a small Comcast account from about five years ago (the SOL where I am is five years).  The account has been listed on my TU report since 2009, with CCS Collections as the CRA.  So it's obvious to me that Stellar is a JDB and that they purchased the account from CCS.

One thing that's thrown me for a loop here is that  I never received a dunning letter from Stellar.  This is probably because I moved last year.  I have received phone calls from them, but they've never left a message; I had to Google the number after the fact to learn it was them.

Also, I'm not entirely sure that the account has been re-aged.  My credit monitoring service shows me my reports online, but they're not exactly comprehensive; all I see is a "Status Date" of 12/14, but no drop-off date, DOFD, etc..  Should I order hard copies of my reports?  If so, what's a reputable place to order them from (for free, if possible).      

I'm looking for a good first step to get these entries off my reports.  They're the only negative items I've got, and before they were added, my score was in the mid to high 700s.  

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

As stated you can call Comcast ask them to recall the CA and then just settle with them or you can do a PFD with the reporting CA if it cannot be recalled due to it being sold, etc... Your states SOL has nothing to do with how long a negative can remain in file these time limits are set forth by the federal FCRA and the max time is 7.5 yrs from the DoFD of an account. If you are going to order reports I strongly suggest you do so by mail from each CRA as they are more in detail than you can get online.

Message 3 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The debt collector is required to report the DOFD to the CRA within 90 days after reporting their collection, so it is required to be in your credit file.

See FCRA 623(a)(5).

For some inexplicable reason, the vendors of many commercial credit reports choose not to include that important piece of information when it has been reported.

Best bet, as stated, is to get a report from annualcreditreport.com, which seems to be the most complete.

You would only assert improper re-aging if the reported DOFD is inaccurate.

It's premature to make any such assumption until you have that date.....

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar question.   I'm fighting w/Capital One, but that's another thread.  ANYWAY, I'm not sure I understand, re-aging an account.   I have or had a collection account.  Opened 04/2004  DOLA 01/01/2006 (don't think so, that's a holiday)  In 2011 I had a subscription to myFico from 01/11 - 04/11 and when I re-subscribed I at the end of last year I received all of my alerts from 2011 too.   Here is what I saw. concerning that stupid Cap One account that isn't mine.

01/11 - Newly reported Account Balance $6429

02/11 - New ly reported Account Balance $ 6458

03/11 - Newly reported Account Balance $ 6488

04/11 - Newly reported Account Balance $6515

Status - Bad Debt placed for collections

Does reporting new balances every month, re-age the debt?    I JUST got this off my report.   My debt was actually Orchard Bank and I paid that collection to Portfolio Recovery in full.    Thank you.   I can't get my head around re-aging a debt.    

Message 5 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It depends upon what you mean by "re-aging."

The term re-aging does not have a specific techincal or legal meaning. 

If a debt is reported as being older or having a higher balance, one could refer to that as re-aging the debt.

However, as commonly used on this site, ew-aging refers to the improper changing of the time a collection can remain in your credit report by reporting an inaccurate and later DOFD.  Exclusion of a collection is based ONLY on the DOFD, and thus reporting of an increased balance would not usually be referred to as re-aging.

Additionally, making a monthly reporting of any change in the balance of a debt can legitimtely be considered as required under the FCRA, and is thus not improper.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!!! The DOFD isn't 01/01/2006 as they're reporting here. The DOFD was late 2004 or early 2005 it was for a diff card for a lOT less Ok. I got it. They're using the charge off date as the DOFD. Anyway. Thank you. It's a hot mess dealing with this. Why did I pay this off only to be sued
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok lots of questions (for tennisgirl12) here.

*Who* exactly is reporting this debt?

Is it being reported by Capital one?

Or is it being reported by a JDB?

Or is it both?

Even with a 1/1/06 DoFD its still beyond reporting limit and the CRA's should be excluding it. Something is not right here.

Do you have proof that you paid portfolio?

Has Capital One verified this a converted Orchard account (they purchased Orchard in 2013)?

Have provided any old Orchard statements?

Have you actually been sued? if so, when? 

Is there a defualt judgement against you for this?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One and I are at war over this. It's not being reported anymore. These "alerts" are from 2011 & I don't know who reported it, but the CR said Cap One. It was being reported until I had it removed this year.
I was sued in 2009 over this the default judgment has expired, I want it vacated. I do have proof I paid Portfolio, my last payment to them was in 2008. Cap One bought Orchard Bank that's correct Portfolio did not go back to Orchard and tell them my debt was paid. They say they don't do that.
I recently filed a complaint with the CFPB over this. Cap One sent me an 80 page bill as a rebuttal. They said they don't have my initial application for the cars because I applied over the Internet. They claim they matched the charges to my social security number. Not sure how you do that I wish I could post this bill. It has to be a joke. They claim I opened the acct 04/28/2004. The billing period starts 04/16/2004, they start billing before the acct is opened? One month my credit limit is $300, the next month it's $2000.? Are they kidding me? The charges look like a bunch of people's all mixed together. I'm flying RT to San Antonio on a day I'm buying hardware in Pittsburgh. It's bizarre. I can't find a lawyer to help me because it's past the statute of limitations. Judgments can be re-opened. I don't want to hijack this thread. Thank you all so much for your help. You are the best.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Cap One and I are at war over this. It's not being reported anymore. These "alerts" are from 2011 & I don't know who reported it, but the CR said Cap One. It was being reported until I had it removed this year. Ok, so current reporting is not an issue. If its not on there, its not on there - and any erroneous alerts are irrelevant.
I was sued in 2009 over this the default judgment has expired, I want it vacated. Unfortunately, there's simply not much chance of that occurring. If it has not been renewed and has passed the time limit for your state, its generally considered an 'abandoned claim' and cannot be collected on. The original judgement itself will remain for the 7 year time period - nothing you can really do about that. The court is not likely to revisit a 6 year old, default, abandoned claim. I do have proof I paid Portfolio, my last payment to them was in 2008. Cap One bought Orchard Bank that's correct Portfolio did not go back to Orchard and tell them my debt was paid. They say they don't do that. If Portfolio purchased the debt, they are correct - its not up them to tell Orchard its been paid. Orchard would have been required under law to report the balance as $0 when the debt was sold. However if Portfolio was only collecting for Orchard, they most certainly had a legal requirement to inform their client the debt was paid. Sounds like Orchard failed to zero the debt when they sold it. But that all seems to be water under the bridge at this point.
I recently filed a complaint with the CFPB over this. Cap One sent me an 80 page bill as a rebuttal. They said they don't have my initial application for the cars because I applied over the Internet. They claim they matched the charges to my social security number. Not sure how you do that I wish I could post this bill. It has to be a joke. They claim I opened the acct 04/28/2004. The billing period starts 04/16/2004, they start billing before the acct is opened? One month my credit limit is $300, the next month it's $2000.? Are they kidding me? The charges look like a bunch of people's all mixed together. I'm flying RT to San Antonio on a day I'm buying hardware in Pittsburgh. It's bizarre. I can't find a lawyer to help me because it's past the statute of limitations. Judgments can be re-opened. I don't want to hijack this thread. Thank you all so much for your help. You are the best. Sounds like a case of ID theft.

If its no longer on your reports, and the judgment has been abandoned, whats the current issue?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.