Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: debt more than 10 years

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I receive a call from a debt collector stating that I owe certain amount of money. They said that the account was closed on 2004 and was sold to them on 2011. It's not my credit report and since I dispute the accuracy over the phone now they sent me a letter of dispute. Will or can they report this on my credit report. Can they still collect since it's been 11 years? Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I receive a call from a debt collector stating that I owe certain amount of money. They said that the account was closed on 2004 and was sold to them on 2011. It's not my credit report and since I dispute the accuracy over the phone now they sent me a letter of dispute. Will or can they report this on my credit report. Can they still collect since it's been 11 years? Thanks.

The time it can be on your CRs is 7.5 yrs from the DoFD (date of 1st delinquency), so if its was in 2004 no one can put an entry on your CRs if they do its illegal reaging. If this is also past your states SOL I would proceed with a FOAD letter. Collection activity only stops at the expiration of SOL in 2 states (WI & MS)...

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a FOAD letter?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can't report but they can hit you with HP's whenever they feel like it .
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

FOAD = F-off and die. Also known as a Cease and Desist, or drop dead letter.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
They can't report but they can hit you with HP's whenever they feel like it .

Let 'em. Just more money out of their pocket. Those report pulls are not free. They can pull till they're bankrupt for all I care.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would recommend sending a debt validation (DV) letter under FDCPA 809(a).

You can send a cease communication letter at any time under the provisions of FDCPA 805(c), which extends only to communications with you.

You cannot send a letter compelling them to cease other collection activites that are otherwise permitted by law.

A timely DV imposes a total cease collection bar, which is more comprehensive than a simple cease communication bar.

That also permits you to additionally request an itemization of the debt, which is recognized under case law as being a legitimate part of debt validation.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.