Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to Rebuild!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ready to Rebuild!

Found these boards a while ago and I am so thankful! The information posted here has helped me to move from a score of 462 (barf) less than a year ago to my current scores of 584, 592 and 616! Not the best nor where I want to be, but much better than where I was :-)

So here is the good....

Current Accounts in good standing:

GM Financial: car loan opened 03/2014, never late. Interest rate of 10%, want to refinance once my scores are higher.

Victoria Secret: opened 04/2009, late payments in 2010, none since. Max was 120 days. 

Carsons, Macys, Express: all opened recently, no lates, low utilization or zero balances.

Capitol One: two cards, both opened 12/2014 at $300, both were recently increased to $400.

The Bad, and the Ugly...

Inquiries: between 17-20, majority stemming from car shopping 03/2014.

Student Loans: 6 open accounts after consolidation, 11 closed, all showing 4-6 late payments since 2000. The 6 open accounts are all current.

Wells FargoSmiley Tongueaid charge off, multiple lates. Date of last payment, 10/2012.

Capitol One: charged off for $1016, resulted in judgment (paid). Date of last payment 06/2011, DOD 12/2010. Judgement shows paid pn CR. Contacted lawyer requesting removal, no go. Should I request in writing?

Chase Bank: charged off for $2175, unpaid. Hasnt updated since 10/13. Date of last payment, 05/2010. DOD 01/2011.

HSBC: charge off, $426, unpaid. Date of last payment 01/2010, DOD 08/2010.

Jefferson Capitol: status unknown, balance $1186, unpaid. No date of last payment, DOD 08/2010 DOFD 07/2009. Collection account only showing on one CR.

Midland Funding: collection account, $249, unpaid. DOFD 05/2009, currently reporting.

And I think thats it....

Oh, I have a Comcast bill showing on CRA for $250 that I planned on paying.

Whew, thats a lot. Until recently I had zero understanding of credit and how things work, but the plan is get it together now! Looking for any and all suggestions and I will update this thread as I go along. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ready to Rebuild!

@Anonymous wrote:

Found these boards a while ago and I am so thankful! The information posted here has helped me to move from a score of 462 (barf) less than a year ago to my current scores of 584, 592 and 616! Not the best nor where I want to be, but much better than where I was :-)

So here is the good....

Current Accounts in good standing:

GM Financial: car loan opened 03/2014, never late. Interest rate of 10%, want to refinance once my scores are higher.

Victoria Secret: opened 04/2009, late payments in 2010, none since. Max was 120 days. 

Carsons, Macys, Express: all opened recently, no lates, low utilization or zero balances.

Capitol One: two cards, both opened 12/2014 at $300, both were recently increased to $400.

The Bad, and the Ugly...

Inquiries: between 17-20, majority stemming from car shopping 03/2014. As they pass 1 year they will not impact your Fico any longer, some creditors may deny based on the number but you can recon and info them what ones were for auto.

Student Loans: 6 open accounts after consolidation, 11 closed, all showing 4-6 late payments since 2000. The 6 open accounts are all current. GW letter to try and get the lates communted, SLs are tough to get GW on the older they are the better.

Wells FargoSmiley Tongueaid charge off, multiple lates. Date of last payment, 10/2012. Try GW letter to get the CO removed, OCs are tough and again the older they are the better chance of getting the GW.

Capitol One: charged off for $1016, resulted in judgment (paid). Date of last payment 06/2011, DOD 12/2010. Judgement shows paid pn CR. Contacted lawyer requesting removal, no go. Should I request in writing? For a paid judgment removal you have to get it vacated by the court that initially granted it, you may be able to do that in your state if not then its on there for 7 years from the date it was filed for. If you have already consulted a lawyer about this and he has said no go then odds are your state doesnt allow the filing of motions to vacate on grounds its been paid, you can look in the states codified laws that govern the civil court system for the reasons a judgment can be vacated to make sure.

Chase Bank: charged off for $2175, unpaid. Hasnt updated since 10/13. Date of last payment, 05/2010. DOD 01/2011. Attempt PFD, if they wont do I would leave it alone till its off your reports since its not updating monthly. Only contact them if you can actually PIF if its still inside your states SOL.

HSBC: charge off, $426, unpaid. Date of last payment 01/2010, DOD 08/2010. Same as Chase.

Jefferson Capitol: status unknown, balance $1186, unpaid. No date of last payment, DOD 08/2010 DOFD 07/2009. Collection account only showing on one CR. Attempt the PFD, again only contact if you can PIF if inside your states SOL.

Midland Funding: collection account, $249, unpaid. DOFD 05/2009, currently reporting. Same as above

And I think thats it....

Oh, I have a Comcast bill showing on CRA for $250 that I planned on paying.

Whew, thats a lot. Until recently I had zero understanding of credit and how things work, but the plan is get it together now! Looking for any and all suggestions and I will update this thread as I go along. Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help!

About the judgement, I contacted the attorney that sued on behalf of Capitol One and they acted as if they knew nothing about vacating judgments so I plan to file the motion with myself once I find valid grounds to do so, I'm still researching that one. If all else fails I will ask for removal since the debt has been satisfied.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi not sure you would still be looking in on your post but I was wondering. Did you have that 462 score and those open judgments and collection when you were approved for your car with GM? 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding your Cap One cards - Use them HEAVILY. Charge all of your normal monthly expenses, groceries, gas, utilities etc, then pay them off as soon as the charges are posted. Make sure no more than $30 or so is on one card when the staement date rolls around. Do that for a couple of months and keep asking for CLI's every month.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you ask for a credit increase on a Capitial one Sucure card??  Thanks

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi not sure you would still be looking in on your post but I was wondering. Did you have that 462 score and those open judgments and collection when you were approved for your car with GM? 

I did. The approval was through Americredit which is a part of GM Financial (sub prime lender) but it reports as GMF. I also put down a significant deposit ($$$) so that may have helped as well.

Since then my scores have risen quite a bit so I'm waiting to refinance until all of my scores are above 600.

Message 7 of 13
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't. 

Just pay on time for at least 6 months, sometimes more than once a month if you can afford it and you might see an increase. I haven't had my card a year and I run a lot of money through it and I got an increase of $300 back in November. 

Always paying on time, more than the minimum due.

To the OP,

The 120 day lates are hurting you forever with your Victoria Secret card. You can try the goodwill route with this as you state it has been current. Only 30 and 60 day lates hurt the entire time they are on your report. I hope this helps. Good luck. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Regarding your Cap One cards - Use them HEAVILY. Charge all of your normal monthly expenses, groceries, gas, utilities etc, then pay them off as soon as the charges are posted. Make sure no more than $30 or so is on one card when the staement date rolls around. Do that for a couple of months and keep asking for CLI's every month.

I LITERALLY just started doing this as well, thanks! 

Message 9 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Whitneyy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't. 

Just pay on time for at least 6 months, sometimes more than once a month if you can afford it and you might see an increase. I haven't had my card a year and I run a lot of money through it and I got an increase of $300 back in November. 

Always paying on time, more than the minimum due.

To the OP,

The 120 day lates are hurting you forever with your Victoria Secret card. You can try the goodwill route with this as you state it has been current. Only 30 and 60 day lates hurt the entire time they are on your report. I hope this helps. Good luck. 

I think you meant 30-60 day lates dont hurt the entire time, typically their biggest impact is in the first 2 years, they could cost a few points at the 7 yr mark. 90 + day lates are the ones that hurt you the entire time they are on file.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.