Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaged Account

tag
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Reaged Account

I have an account on my credit report from Receivables Performance, stating that I have an account that was placed in collections in June 2011 for a past T-Mobile account I had at one time. However, the T-Mobile account was back from late 2006. How would I dispute this matter because, as a result of RPC, the account will not, as it claims, be removed until 2018... almost 12 years later!

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Reaged Account

I actually was following your post in the CC boards so I kind of have an understanding of where you are now.  First off, the CA cannot reset the SOL or CRTP of the original OC.  Now, with that being said, there is one possible way this can happen.  Did you ever sign anything or agree to a payment plan from Receivables Performance and then not follow through with it?  The reason I ask is because if you have done that, it can in some cases restart the clock.

Part 2 of this question, you say the account was from late 2006.  Is that when the account was open or when it went bad.  The DOFD is set when the account first went bad and was not returned to paid as agreed status.  

If the account had went bad in 2006 and you did not have a prior agreement with this CA, then you do have a problem.  Is this paid or unpaid?  Not that it matters as to how it reports, it's just that I like to have the debts paid or settled so they don't come back.

Now what I personally would do is file a direct dispute with Receivables Performance as to the particulars of this debt, to include the DOFD of it.  If that does not rectify the problem, then I would file a FTC violation and perhaps the state AG.  Some, including myself have had some success with the BBB, but that only works on the CAs that care if they even have a BBB rating.

Hope this helps, I'm around here quite a bit, so feel free to hit me up anytime.  Good Luck.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 35
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Shogun... to answer your questions, the acct was opened late 2006 and I called and had the acct closed in early 2007 cause I had lost my job. So it's been a baddie since 2007. As for a prior agreement, I am 100000% sure I didn't sign anything agreeing to pay it with RPC. In the midst of these questions, you're right, I do have a problem. But, wouldn't me filing a direct dispute with them allow them to legally reage it because then I'll be confessing to the debt?

Lastly, what's the process to filing with the FTC and AG? These are both that I've never had to do so am not familiar and have only done through BBB before.

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 3 of 35
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

No,, as stated before, there is no way the CA can reset the DOFD of the account.  You have no agreement prior with them, so how can you be in violation of that agreement.  They have the debt, that is all.  Yes, dispute this with them, not the CRAs, all the CRA dispute is just a watered down eOscar file that includes basically no information.  You will want to dispute with the CA and advise them what you are disputing.  Do you have any prior evidence to the DOFD?  Maybe an old CR with the account on there with the correct DOFD?  This will go along way, it wouldn't be thrown out as frivolous if you have proof.

As far as the FTC and the AG complaints, they are simple and straight forward.  You can just go online to their websites and enter your complaints there.

July 2013 score:

Message 4 of 35
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When the debt collector received collection authority or when they opened their collection with the CRAs has zero to do with the DOFD, and thus expiration of the credit report exclusion period.

The post seems to equate their reporting of their collection as reporting of an updated DOFD.  I dont see any specific evidence of their having reported a later, improper DOFD.   Thus, I dont see basis for filing a dispute over their reported DOFD.

To support a dispute, you need clear evidence of their reporting of a DOFD that is contrary to FCRA 623(a)(5),  If the OC account was closed in arrears in 2007, the DOFD would necessarily be some date prior to closing date.

A dispute needs some basis for their investigation of improper reporting.  I dont see a clear basis for a dispute at this point.  Any date pertaining to their reporting of their collection is not per se reporting of a DOFD.

Message 5 of 35
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I do see an issue with the updating of the DOFD.  If the account went into arrears in 2006 and was closed in 2007 then expected exclusion date of 2018 does impose an updated DOFD for the account.  If the OP has an old CR with the T-Mobile account on it with the original dates on it, then this would be proof of the account being reaged.  Also if the OP could contact the OC and get any information on this account as to when it was closed, this again would give them proof.

July 2013 score:

Message 6 of 35
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

I will be trying to get evidence, but to be completely honest, I usually shred my credit reports after a month or two after obtaining them for security purposes. So if I'm lucky, maybe I can get some evidence from T-Mobile. If not, is there anything else I can do? Possibly get RPC to provide proper documentation to the in regards to the closing date from T-Mobile. This seems like it'll be one of those accounts that will take a major fight to get off! And I don't understand how they can reage the account like that.

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 7 of 35
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The hard evidence of what has been reported as the DOFD is simple to obtain.

Under FCRA 623(a)(5), the debt collector was required to have obtained the DOFD from the OC, either by reliance on a DOFD that the OC has previously reported to the CRA, or by making personal contact with the OC, and to have reported that date to the CRA within 90 days of reporting their collection.

That reported DOFD is thus required to be of record in the consumer's credit file.

Under FCRA 609(a)(1), a consumer may obtain any information of record in their credit file simply by forwarding a request to the CRA, accompanied by proof of their identity and the required processing fee, which is currently $11.00/

If firm evidence of their reporting, and not some estimated exclusion date, cannot be found in the consumer's credit report, a simple section 609(a)(1) request will provide hard evidence of what was actually reported.

Message 8 of 35
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

In the midst of all this, wouldn't it just make sense to dispute it, or even send a PFD or something? I'm beginning to get frustrated because I cannot get a hold of T-Mobile to have them confirm everything and just want it off my report for good. Has anyone ever made a payment on such an account and had it deleted at a discounted price? Just curious because I want to rebuild my credit and this, clearly, reaged account has demolished my FICO score dramatically seeing as how they made it seem recent.

Or can anyone offer an alternative to possibly getting in touch with T-Mobile to have the concern addressed? I tried to call to ask if they could verify when the account was closed and began reporting on my credit, or something along those lines, but with no luck.

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 9 of 35
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

same thing happened to me awile back. i filed a dispute with the crwdit bureaus and said that the original account was well over seven years old and that this new acct listing should be removed. they did remove it. i dont know from all of the wherfores and shall do's but it wworked for me. good lck and dont over complicate it'. they may do nothing, but figured that was the easiest first step.
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.