Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really bummed after asking for GW adjustments/removals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really bummed after asking for GW adjustments/removals

Well, I keep reading GW letter success stories but I'm getting nowhere. Except more depressed about my credit situation.

I have a TON of late student loan payments across multiple lenders from 2011-2013. In 2014 my loans were discharged for total and permanant disability, and the disability began in 2011. I was hoping at least some of them might consider removing the late payments... these are the only accounts I have with late payments and they are destroying my score.

I know I'm responsible for these loans, but I lost my career in 2011 when I became disabled. I had no income until 2014 when I was approved for SSDI. I was battling horrible health problems and zero money during those years. I absolutely let the student loans lapse and that's my fault, but I hoped they might remove a late payment here or there... or something.

NOPE. Navient told me this morning that she's really empathetic but there's nothing they can do. She understands my situation. Really? Was she almost homeless waiting for SSDI to be awarded for years? Did she lose her career she loved? Clearly not.

Meanwhile, I settled and paid Verizon so I asked them to remove their account. They told me they are required by law to report accurate information so they can't delete it. What a joke. I'm not asking them to report anything inaccurate, just to remove the damn thing from my credit report. 

I don't know how other people have success with GW letters because so far my creditors don't gave AF whatsoever. I'm starting to give up on getting the last 20 points I need before my lease expires in August so I can buy a home. Ugh.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Really bummed after asking for GW adjustments/removals

Most furnishers have standard policies passed down to their underlings not to delete reporting based on payment of the debt.

Their credit reporting agreements with the CRAs prohibit such deletions, and thus managment often establishes a non-deletion policy in order to assure compliance with their credti reporting agreement.

Conintued GW requests to underlings will thus often meet with no discretion.

If you have not yet done so, I would suggest making a personal appear to their executiive management, who has the authority to grant exceptions to their company policy

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navient will not remove the lates.  Student Loans are required by law to report correctly. 

Message 3 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, the GW do not always work. The best you can do is handle what you can control as best possible, to counter those negatives. It can be done. Shape up everything else in your profile and grow it also, and you certainly can make progress. There are many threads of success on here of people with baddies on their reports.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RM21 wrote:
Unfortunately, the GW do not always work. The best you can do is handle what you can control as best possible, to counter those negatives. It can be done. Shape up everything else in your profile and grow it also, and you certainly can make progress. There are many threads of success on here of people with baddies on their reports.

Yeah, I guess that's just what I'm going to have to do. I completely stopped using credit for five years so unfortunately I don't have any real positive pay history to counter the negatives. I'm working with someone who has helped me get some of the bad stuff off but there's still all of those late payments... ugh. I only have until about mid-July to get my mid score to 620 to qualify for the down payment assistance program I need to buy a home. I was approved by the lender for an FHA loan but that won't help me unless I can use the down payment assistance. My landlord increased my rent 45% effectibe August 16, so it's a real time crunch. 

There was also a Verizon account that was updating as if it was a missed payment every month even though it was closed a year ago. I paid that and the executive customer service won't remove it or even help expedite the update to the bureaus. I'm batting zero right about now.

Message 5 of 7
girlonmission
Valued Member

If you're still in default with your student loans, you can grab he rehab program. In about 12 months they will remove all the latest.  Just a hought

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I wish they did that with the disability discharge. My loans were all discharged in 2014... but they won't remove any of the lates. Frustrating situation.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.