cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuidling Phase - Multiple Questions...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuidling Phase - Multiple Questions...

Hello!

I wanted to pay down on my credit cards since I've been at about 67% util. (Crazy, I know) So I took out a small personal loan of about 2000 from Springleaf Financial. The interest rate is 24%. I plan on paying this off in about 3 months so is the interest rate going to hurt me in the end? I'm not really educated in interest rates. I just know that I'll pay this off in 3-6 months versus 36 months. I noticed in the loan docs that my credit score is 660 with Experian. On every website you can think of including this website my score ranges from 604 - 627. No where near the 660 Springleaf provided me with. So how do I find out my actual FICO score aside from requesting a paper copy annually? Is this website showing us our correct FICO score?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuidling Phase - Multiple Questions...

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello!

I wanted to pay down on my credit cards since I've been at about 67% util. (Crazy, I know) So I took out a small personal loan of about 2000 from Springleaf Financial. The interest rate is 24%. I plan on paying this off in about 3 months so is the interest rate going to hurt me in the end? I'm not really educated in interest rates. I just know that I'll pay this off in 3-6 months versus 36 months. I noticed in the loan docs that my credit score is 660 with Experian. On every website you can think of including this website my score ranges from 604 - 627. No where near the 660 Springleaf provided me with. So how do I find out my actual FICO score aside from requesting a paper copy annually? Is this website showing us our correct FICO score?

They may be using an older FICO model (the mortgage scores), which is why its different. There are also different flavors of FICO - Bank enhanced, auto enhanced, insurance, etc. Somtimes its hard to figure out what version they use.

A "paper copy annually" (I'm assuming you mean from annualcreditreport.com) is not going to show your scores, only your raw reports.

Aside from being paid down slightly faster, I see no advantage of the Springleaf loan - interest rate is likely similar to CC rates, so you're not saving any money. Being new it would lower your AAoA, but that will recover over time as it ages. All it really accomplishes is a bit of a score boost for a few months. You would have achieved the same end result by simply applying the payments you're making on the loan to your cards.

IMO, the only time a loan makes sense is if the interest rate is signifigantly lower and/or you have a pressing need to get scores up in a very short time period.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello!

They may be using an older FICO model (the mortgage scores), which is why its different. There are also different flavors of FICO - Bank enhanced, auto enhanced, insurance, etc. Somtimes its hard to figure out what version they use.

A "paper copy annually" (I'm assuming you mean from annualcreditreport.com) is not going to show your scores, only your raw reports.

Aside from being paid down slightly faster, I see no advantage of the Springleaf loan - interest rate is likely similar to CC rates, so you're not saving any money. Being new it would lower your AAoA, but that will recover over time as it ages. All it really accomplishes is a bit of a score boost for a few months. You would have achieved the same end result by simply applying the payments you're making on the loan to your cards.

IMO, the only time a loan makes sense is if the interest rate is signifigantly lower and/or you have a pressing need to get scores up in a very short time period.

Thank you for your reponse. I have one other question. My credit report is a bit ugly right now due to late payments on a Capital One account that is closed (restricted) with a balance of around 200. My late payments go as far as (30 days late - October 2013) to (90 days late - Feb 2015). I am wondering if there is A N Y possibility to get some of these late or all late payments removed with Capital One? If not, is it best to just let them age? It shows as Open - Current with 15 missed payments. I don't know if this is an option but could I request they remove the late payments for the whole 200 in one payment? Just wondering.

TIA!

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One is a tough nut to crack. A few people have managed to do it, but it doesn't happen often.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.