cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuidling after a divorce

tag
andysdad

Rebuidling after a divorce

As part of the divorce decree, all assets are being liquidated , all joint accounts must be closed, including bank accounts and credit cards. Killed off a few major credit cards and will have the rest killed off and closed by end of yar. The party has already started for my score, in a nose drive currently.  I will of course get new bank account numbers and a new credit card, but i dont want to go down the road again , i will have one, maybe two cards and hope to keep the balances paided off in short order, keeping the balances at or near zero.  I have had scores in the high 770's before.  I have one or two personal loans i will pay off and leave off because i want to buy a new home and stop renting.  Question is, will i ever get to see those higher credit scores again when keeping one or 2 cards and low or zero balances??   Any suggestions on how to raise them back to those limits?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuidling after a divorce

@andysdad wrote:

As part of the divorce decree, all assets are being liquidated , all joint accounts must be closed, including bank accounts and credit cards. Killed off a few major credit cards and will have the rest killed off and closed by end of yar. The party has already started for my score, in a nose drive currently.  I will of course get new bank account numbers and a new credit card, but i dont want to go down the road again , i will have one, maybe two cards and hope to keep the balances paided off in short order, keeping the balances at or near zero.  I have had scores in the high 770's before.  I have one or two personal loans i will pay off and leave off because i want to buy a new home and stop renting.  Question is, will i ever get to see those higher credit scores again when keeping one or 2 cards and low or zero balances??   Any suggestions on how to raise them back to those limits?

Scores can definitely rebound.   UTIL plays a large role in scoring models.  If you have two cards, it's recommended to make sure that one always posts with a zero balance and the other posts with a balance that does not exceed 10% of the CL.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 5
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@andysdad wrote:

Good luck with this change its not the end just a new page in your book. It was of course natural for your scores to take a dip but this is just temporary, you'll see it all come back as you pay off those 2 cards. Really looking at your approach with paying off those cards, low / zero remaining debt along with little utilization sounds like its a good plan I would suggest you might look into at your financial needs as far as what card would fit your lifestyle best and consider establishing maybe 1 CC or maybe a LOC for the purpose of raising your utilization, you DON"T have to use the card its purpose would be to improve your credit profile of course responsible usage can help as well such as paying a bill with the card and treating it like cash and paying the cc bill before the end of the month.

Just some suggestions........ Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Have you tried contacting the creditors with whom you had the old cards, and explain the situation that you now want a card in only your name?

Did the old card accrue derogs during the divorce period?

Message 4 of 5
andysdad

i have not contacted anyone , dont think i will. The debt happened during the marriage so she is also cashing out her joint accounts as well.

I will start new cards when its over , and sense the last 2 CC's are at banks, they wont just remove one persons name from the account , they will close the accounts and reopen with just one person listed on the account, just got another alert notice, down to 649 on equifax.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.