Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuild Advice

So here I am. I finally have my student loans under control. Im in the beginning of my rebuild and I would like some advice on what I should do and how I should do it.

I make about 38k a year

Installment Loans

CAR 13.5K PAID ON TIME SINCE 2015

CAR 16K PAID ON TIME

PERSONAL LOAN  6K HAS HAD A FEW 30 DAY LATES

All of those are at around 6% interest

Credit Cards

Fingerhut 300 limit Currently at 220 available (bought something to make small payments and hope for an increase) Its relatively new...2 months

Capital One Secured 200 limit, currently at 200 available. I have had this for around a year, and up until a few months ago has always been close to 100 percent utilization. Im now going to keep this one at 0% UTI.

Student Loans

15 Different Student Loans, all where rehabbed in November. All had multiple late payments of varying degrees.  All are with new service, and our being paid on item. They will also be going into deferrement soon since I am back in school.

I have one collection account for a 90 dollar medical bill.

No bankruptcies, no charge offs. Scores are currently FAKOS of 589- 599 with my Utlization finally down.

I am currently applying with a Credit Union through my job for refinancing the cars and loan as well as a third credit card.

I need some advice on what to do next. Do I need a third credit card? If I just keep my one card at around 30% UTI will my scores go up, or stay about the same each month? Basically if nothing changes each month aside from the payments on my loans, will my credit scores stay the same or does consistent low UTI give further bumps?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuild Advice

UPDATED

FICO8 SCORES

EQUIFAX 606 TRANSUNION 627 EXPERIAN 637

FICO 5

500 564 562

FICO AUTOSCORE 8

608 624 600

FICO BANKCARD

575 614 589

Message 2 of 6
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

That $220/300 FH is no bueno. Overall util matters but so does individual cards. Especially when you only have 2 at low limits. You're at 73%. You have to get that down. And even overall you're at 44%. Too high.

Pay the $90 collection and then ask them to remove it. 6% on the car probably isn't so bad...but you may be able to refi with higher scores. 

Have you tried the Cap One prequal for unsecured? Did the rehab remove the lates?

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think OP said $220 available out of $300 for Fingerhut.

Message 4 of 6
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

Ah. Misread. I can't edit the post (mobile). Ignore that part OP!
NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the rehab did not remove the lates, and in actuality a lot of the negative remarks are still there. Its through Navient and I have submitted disputes twice. I am going to get all the information and contact Navient directly this weekend.

I have attempted pre qualify before. It didnt work. This time it did though! OMG I got pre approved for two cards through Capital One. I choose the Quicksilver one.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.