Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild Setback - or not? Unreported Medical Collection

tag
LJ555
Valued Member

Rebuild Setback - or not? Unreported Medical Collection

Well today I called to make a doctor's appointment and I was informed that I could not do so because of an account that had been sent to collections. Smiley Sad

I was confused because I thought I had paid my bill online more than a year ago - she said it was turned over in March of 2016.  So I logged into my HSA to view transaction history, and sure enough - no payment to this doctor other than the co-pay the day of my last appointment.  I must have gotten it confused with a different doctor.  So I immediately called the CA and paid the balance due in full.

The thing is, as I've been rebuilding my credit and obsessively checking my credit reports, this collection has not appeared on any of them.  I don't recall getting anything in the mail from this particular agency which is a smaller local one.  But who knows - in 2016 I was not nearly as on top of things as I am now so there is a chance I just tossed it without even opening (I open EVERYTHING now even if it looks like junk). 

Should I feel pretty good that if it hasn't showed up by now that it won't, especially since I just paid it?  I couldn't very well ask for a PFD since there was nothing to delete and I didn't even want to MENTION to her that it hadn't been reported.

In the end, the debt is paid though I'm not happy about wiping out the small savings I've just built.  It's like - 2 steps forward, 1 step back.  I'm hoping there won't be any retroactive reporting as a result of acknowledging the debt and paying it but I'm not sure how these things work.  Has anyone experienced this before?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LJ555
Valued Member

Re: Rebuild Setback - or not? Unreported Medical Collection

Sooo... thoughts?  Or can anyone just reassure me that it's unlikely to be reported after I paid it?  LOL

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a good chance that they will not report the account to the CRA's as the account is paid, you stated they are a small local agency and it would cost them money to report it.
Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Make a deal with the CA to not report in exchange for full payment is what you would want to do in this case. Since its already paid they are prob not going to report it but if they do you can ask them for a good will deletion of it.

Message 4 of 5
vanskills
Valued Member

It would be super easy to Hippa process it..which we cant talk about on these forums , google it

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.