Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild in Process... Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuild in Process... Advice?

I just got an offer from Fingerhut. I am set on not accepting their offer, I’m weary about getting too many credit cards. How many is too many? I currently, after accepting Merrick Bank have 4 credit cards and Kohl’s. I have been paying all of my cards off in full and not leaving a balance. I see some say only 3 and others saying it doesn’t hurt to increase utilization?
I feel like I’m obsessed with my credit and finding ways to constantly improve every month 😣

Current scores are: EX: 577 TU: 596 EQ: ?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuild in Process... Advice?

See my signature link on the AZEO method. Do that going forward.

If you have no installment loans do the Alliant SSL Technique asap. Tomorrow. It'll boost your scores a lot if you have no loans reporting.

Skip fingerhut. They overcharge for prices and overcharge for interest. You will do better in 6-12 months as your accounts age!
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advice, I actually don’t have an installment loan so I will definitely look into that and those tips. Thanks!
Message 3 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just got an offer from Fingerhut. I am set on not accepting their offer, I’m weary about getting too many credit cards. How many is too many? I currently, after accepting Merrick Bank have 4 credit cards and Kohl’s. I have been paying all of my cards off in full and not leaving a balance. I see some say only 3 and others saying it doesn’t hurt to increase utilization?
I feel like I’m obsessed with my credit and finding ways to constantly improve every month 😣

Current scores are: EX: 577 TU: 596 EQ: ?
First off, it does take some time, but you can bring up your scores pretty quickly. But you didn't provide enough information. How old are your accounts, what are the limits, how many inq do you have, baddies? If these are new accounts, you need to let them age. Most CLI happen every 6 months. Access to major card companies prefer you have a years experience before consideration. YMMV but there is not enough detail for me to make additional suggestions.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

I filed Chapt 7 BK in 2013.

I didn't do anything up until about March of this year as far as getting any cards. I wanted to be sure I had savings.

Cards:

Wellsfargo Secured $300 - April 2017 no lates

CreditOne Secured $500(SL was $300) May 2017 no lates

Capital One Secured $200 June 2017 no lates

Kohl's $300 September 2017 no lates

Just approved for Merrick Bank Unsecured $750

I have 1 CO for TMobile that is currently with Southwest Credit Systems. I am making payments on it, total bal 1,622.

8 Inquires

I got an alert from EX and my score increased to 650! My TU is at 596 and EQ I don't have my score.

That's about it in a nutshell.

Message 5 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you.

I filed Chapt 7 BK in 2013.

I didn't do anything up until about March of this year as far as getting any cards. I wanted to be sure I had savings.

Cards:

Wellsfargo Secured $300 - April 2017 no lates

CreditOne Secured $500(SL was $300) May 2017 no lates

Capital One Secured $200 June 2017 no lates

Kohl's $300 September 2017 no lates

Just approved for Merrick Bank Unsecured $750

I have 1 CO for TMobile that is currently with Southwest Credit Systems. I am making payments on it, total bal 1,622.

8 Inquires

I got an alert from EX and my score increased to 650! My TU is at 596 and EQ I don't have my score.

That's about it in a nutshell.

Looks like the door is getting ready to open up for you. You just need time to let things age, report, have good behavior (aka pay on time more than minimum) and allow your score to grow (aka gardening).

What is hurting you right now is that the majority of your cards are secured. Yes, they helped you get better scores. But I believe you are on the cuspid of having unsecured cards become available (such as Merrick which you just got). Cap One lets you have a new card every 6 months. I would plan on checking their pre-approval site in January (roughly 6 months after your cap one secured card) to see what becomes available. You also want have an idea of when you secured cards graduate. This will allow you to keep an eye out for changes.

I have been able to also utilize relationships to access different cards. For example, signing up for Discover FICO tracking might lead you to a pre-qual offer, too. Once the baddie is fixed, perhaps a GW letter(s) will get it removed and that would be a huge jump for your score.

Keep reading the forums here and learn about your creditors. You'll get ideas. Before you apply, know what your scores are and research here to see how likely they will approve you. YMMV but I think you are closing in on what you want to accomplish.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!! I can’t say enough about this forum. Credit is usually a hush hush thing so we don’t really talk about it in our everyday interactions with our family and friends. But this has been such a great learning experience for me. And it has lifted a burden off of my shoulders. Thank you to you and everyone that have answered my questions.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, one more question. When Wellsfargo graduates my secured cc. Is that a card I want to keep? Or cancel?

Message 8 of 12
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry, one more question. When Wellsfargo graduates my secured cc. Is that a card I want to keep? Or cancel?

It's a keeper.  Always keep unsecured CCs that don't have an AF, unless it's a rewards card that you can meet the reward requirements.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's a keeper.  Always keep unsecured CCs that don't have an AF, unless it's a rewards card that you can meet the reward requirements.

Awesome. Thanks!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.