Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuild my credit

@markymark313 wrote:

Would I be able to get a secured card with my current credit? I don't plan on on purchasing a home until 2018. My delinquencies should all fall off by then.  Which card should I be looking at?

What are your scores......

Securred cards - CapOne, Discover, Bank of America, OpenSky (no credit check).

IF your scores are high enough (the baddies old enough) you MIGHT, I repeat MIGHT get an unsecured at CapOne......I had a collection/tax lien/and late payments and no credit cards to my name - and managed to get both the CapOne QuickSilver1 and Platinum and my DiscoverIt.......scores were sitting at about 600-605

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@markymark313 wrote:

Would I be able to get a secured card with my current credit? I don't plan on on purchasing a home until 2018. My delinquencies should all fall off by then.  Which card should I be looking at?

If u have the cash and u can do secured card u can do cap1 or easier one is Bank of America and Wells Fargo which u can just open at a branch and get card pretty fast cap1 u do online and I've been reading ppl get card from applying paying the deposit they don't get card till like 3 wks later.. U should get some cards most likely would need to be secured since ur score so low.. Get all those 3 secured card if u can and use them and pay it off on time after about 3-6 months ur score should go up a bit after that apply for the cap1 platinum and qs1

Message 12 of 20
markymark313
Valued Member

Ok guys. I just got approved for the cap 1 secured card. Just made a $99 deposit. I'm on my way guys. Just pulled my TU score from here and it's a 511. Will check it again at the end of 2017. Thanks for all of your help. Great board here with tons of info and members Willing to help. 

Message 13 of 20
markymark313
Valued Member

I want to settle an old cable bill which is only $167. How do I go about settling it and having it deleted after I pay it?

Message 14 of 20
markymark313
Valued Member

I have a question about collection accounts on credit reports. Do  they remove after seven years from date of last payment or is that just for charge offs?

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@markymark313 wrote:

I want to settle an old cable bill which is only $167. How do I go about settling it and having it deleted after I pay it?

Need a little more info.....does a collection agency have it -- or the cable company.

Most of the time you can contact the cable company direct - make an offer to pay for delete and/or recall from collection agency - try to get it in writing or an email that they will delete/recall.   However, I haven't had issues with it not being deleted just based on the phone call - calls are usually recorded - so just write down the date/time and who you spoke with so they can pull tapes if they have to. (or you can record the call yourself).     Just be patient - they will tell you it can take 60 days to happen - but usually it happens within a couple of weeks......but you really can't complain if they get it done in the time they tell you.

Utilities/cable companies are pretty good about this because there is a pretty good chance you will need service with them again in the future.  

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

They fall off at 7 years + 180 days from the DOFD (date of first default). 

@markymark313 wrote:

I have a question about collection accounts on credit reports. Do  they remove after seven years from date of last payment or is that just for charge offs?

Message 17 of 20
markymark313
Valued Member

A collection agency has it. I did research on the forums and found a pfd template and sent them a letter in the postal mail last week. I'm waiting for their reply. hudson bureau collection has he account. 

Message 18 of 20
markymark313
Valued Member

I just got the cable company collection removed. Disputed with Equinox to have them verify the account.They didn't and it was removed. Paid it anyways. It was only $167. Should I have my other collection accounts verified by the credit bureaus? Or just leave it alone since I have about a year left to reach 7 years.
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@markymark313 wrote:
I just got the cable company collection removed. Disputed with Equinox to have them verify the account.They didn't and it was removed. Paid it anyways. It was only $167. Should I have my other collection accounts verified by the credit bureaus? Or just leave it alone since I have about a year left to reach 7 years.

I would suggest waiting until they fall off THEN contact the CA's and negotiate lowball settlements. Offer them 20% or so.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.