cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild myself, bankruptcy or credit repair program?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuild myself, bankruptcy or credit repair program?

So hello, I am here to ask for help. I have been trying to manage my finances myself and am making very little progress very slowly. How to get the ball rolling a little faster? The ultimate goal is to buy a house here in the next 2 years.

A little about my situation. My scores are hovering between 600 and 670. I have several old collections falling off this year. I have not missed a payment in 5 years but have high balances, about 89% utilization. I have a my student loan ($30k) loan with prosper and one with lending club ($20k total) as well as about $30k in credit card debt. 

So, the problem is that I cannot afford to pay off any of these in large chunks at a time. I'm making minimum payments on the credit cards and the loans are all 2+ years out from being paid off. I am paying a higher than minimum payment on the smallest credit card balance but my budget is pretty lean and that's the limit of what I can pay at the moment.

Is bankruptcy an option I should consider? Any of those credit repair services worth using? Or should I just bite the bullet, buy YNAB and pay everything off slowly and wait to buy a house? Really just looking for direction on how best to move forward without needing to bring in more income that I just don't have. 

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuild myself, bankruptcy or credit repair program?

I'd say, if your goal is to be mortgage-ready in a couple of years, bankruptcy right now is probably not a viable option.

Credit repair services, in general, don't produce any results you cannot achieve on your own - you can make copies of letters and mail them to everyone you need something from (fixing derogs, delting reporitng, etc) just like they would.  And you'll keep the $99 a month or whatever fee you would have to pay them.

You say that you're making larger-than-minimum payments on your smallest card, which is a good start.  Try stepping those up by whatever you can free up - even $20 will help pay the balance off faster.  Brown bagging, lots of peanut butter and ramen, skipping coffee houses, canceling Netflix (or canceling cable and just watching Netflix, even better), embracing coupons, babysitting for the neighbors, baking your own birthday cakes instead of buying them, whatever you can think of.  Then look up "snowballing" to see advice about rolling extra into that card until it's paid, then rolling the entire amount you used to give on that card into the next one, etc.  Two years of snowballing should get your balances down a bit, maybe not into the "ideal" range for FICO, but certainly in a better position than you're in now.  Also, hit up creditors for credit limit increases if you haven't done so in a while - just don't use the extra, if/when you get it, of course, that would defeat the purpose and increase your debt load.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So hello, I am here to ask for help. I have been trying to manage my finances myself and am making very little progress very slowly. How to get the ball rolling a little faster? The ultimate goal is to buy a house here in the next 2 years.

A little about my situation. My scores are hovering between 600 and 670. I have several old collections falling off this year. I have not missed a payment in 5 years but have high balances, about 89% utilization. I have a my student loan ($30k) loan with prosper and one with lending club ($20k total) as well as about $30k in credit card debt. 

So, the problem is that I cannot afford to pay off any of these in large chunks at a time. I'm making minimum payments on the credit cards and the loans are all 2+ years out from being paid off. I am paying a higher than minimum payment on the smallest credit card balance but my budget is pretty lean and that's the limit of what I can pay at the moment.

Is bankruptcy an option I should consider? Any of those credit repair services worth using? Or should I just bite the bullet, buy YNAB and pay everything off slowly and wait to buy a house? Really just looking for direction on how best to move forward without needing to bring in more income that I just don't have. 

How many credit card balances are we talking here? What are the interest rates and minimums?

If you can get scores up enough you may qualify for a balance transfer card that may let you jumpstart things by reducing your interest paid on some of the balances.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, hit up creditors for credit limit increases if you haven't done so in a while - just don't use the extra, if/when you get it, of course, that would defeat the purpose and increase your debt load.

Funny you should mention this, I just got $3500 in CLIs today on accounts that I do not use. I suspect that will help me get started.

Our budget is pretty lean as it is, no cable or satellite, bargain phone provider, couponing the hell out of our grocery bill these days. I have already cut out as much as I can without asking the family to endure hardships. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How many credit card balances are we talking here? What are the interest rates and minimums?

If you can get scores up enough you may qualify for a balance transfer card that may let you jumpstart things by reducing your interest paid on some of the balances.

Discover                           $8700 at 20.24% min payment $189

Cap One QS                     $10800 at 23.15% min payment $322

Chase Amazon Visa         $5600 at 22.49% min payment $165

Chase Signature Visa       $7700 at 16.24% min payment $185

Amazon store card           $1900 at 26.24% min payment $65, I have been paying $120.

Cards are all within $500 of their limits, bad job outta me. I am trying to fix this situation but I wish I had started sooner. :-/

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also new at this, if there are guides on how to start repairing credit or other resources I should consider please direct me to them. I have searched this forum but I don't necessarily know I am looking for. Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried calling the card companies to try and work things out with them. I know that sometimes synchrony and others might be able to put you onto a differed payment plan to try and work things out, but they may also freeze the account and lower limits at the end of the differment period. I know that synchrony offered my wife that option when we had a tough time in 2013.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, deferred like how? No interest or some such? Might be worth while, I never would have thought of that. I'd love to hear more details.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

We called them up and told them that we were struggling financially to keep up with just the minimum monthly payments and we asked them if they would be able to offer us anything to help us be able to pay the card back without defaulting on it. They came back to us after being on hold for like 5 mins to tell us that they would set the APR on the account to something like 5.99% for 12 months to be able to pay down the account. The only stipulation of them doing this was we couldn't charge anything els on the card for a full year. 

Message 9 of 10
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover                           $8700 at 20.24% min payment $189

Cap One QS                     $10800 at 23.15% min payment $322

Chase Amazon Visa         $5600 at 22.49% min payment $165

Chase Signature Visa       $7700 at 16.24% min payment $185

Amazon store card           $1900 at 26.24% min payment $65, I have been paying $120.

Cards are all within $500 of their limits, bad job outta me. I am trying to fix this situation but I wish I had started sooner. :-/

A good non-profit credit counseling service (be careful, lots of charletons out there) can sometimes negotiate a reduction in the APR with your creditors. Make sure they are reputable. Sometimes they can even work out a repayment plan where all creditors can be paid from an escrow account, much like ch 13 without the extreme damage to score. Creditors will often work with them, because this is prefferable to a bankruptcy filing. There is more info on this on the FTC website.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.