Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild progress

tag
dawnm72174
Regular Contributor

Rebuild progress

So, I've been rebuilding since 2014. Had tons of medical collections. Called each CA and offered PFD. Most were accepted. Disputed accounts I knew weren't mine and had them deleted. Here's where my hard work has finally paid off.

Started with a 21% auto loan in July 2014. Because we were upside down on our loan, a refi was out of the question. We traded it in for a newer car. That loan was approved for 11.8%. Not the best but it was evident that we were finally moving in the right direction with our credit. Fast forward to last week, we successfully got a refi at 3.04%. That is definitely exciting for us, especially since we've already paid more in interest to Ally than we will for the life of the new loan.

Early in the rebuild (sept. '14) I got a secured Cap One ($200 deposit) and Fingerhut fresh start. Paid FH off in 2 months and graduated to their regular credit account. Started low but when I closed it, my CL was sitting at $1,500. Closed the secured Cap One when it was 6 months old, after receiving a $300 unsecured CLI. It had done its job because I had unsecured cards by then.

I have made the mistake of applying for too many cards, and as a result I had no CLs over 4 digit limits:

USAA Classic Platinum ($1,000), Discover ($1,300), Cap One QS ($1,800), Cap One QS ($1,500), Walmart ($5,000), Amazon ($3,500), Best Buy Visa ($1,000), Kay's ($3,000)

In the last week (in frustration for not getting larger than $500 CLIs. I know. I know...) I applied for 2 cards and was approved.

USAA Preferred cash rewards VISA  SL $2,000

Barclay Jet Blue $11,000 SL

image.jpeg

MY FIRST 5 DIGIT LIMIT! I am just super excited lol

Now officially going to garden until 2018

TU - 722 FICO 8 - no baddies, perfect payment history

EX - 685 FICO 8 - 1 collection, no lates or PRs

EQ - 671 FICO 8 - 3 collections, no lates or PRs

All unpaid collections are updating monthly because I'm currently paying them. Not seeing any scores lowering significantly, even with the updates.

Edited to add pic

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuild progress

@dawnm72174 wrote:

So, I've been rebuilding since 2014. Had tons of medical collections. Called each CA and offered PFD. Most were accepted. Disputed accounts I knew weren't mine and had them deleted. Here's where my hard work has finally paid off.

Started with a 21% auto loan in July 2014. Because we were upside down on our loan, a refi was out of the question. We traded it in for a newer car. That loan was approved for 11.8%. Not the best but it was evident that we were finally moving in the right direction with our credit. Fast forward to last week, we successfully got a refi at 3.04%. That is definitely exciting for us, especially since we've already paid more in interest to Ally than we will for the life of the new loan.

Early in the rebuild (sept. '14) I got a secured Cap One ($200 deposit) and Fingerhut fresh start. Paid FH off in 2 months and graduated to their regular credit account. Started low but when I closed it, my CL was sitting at $1,500. Closed the secured Cap One when it was 6 months old, after receiving a $300 unsecured CLI. It had done its job because I had unsecured cards by then.

I have made the mistake of applying for too many cards, and as a result I had no CLs over 4 digit limits:

USAA Classic Platinum ($1,000), Discover ($1,300), Cap One QS ($1,800), Cap One QS ($1,500), Walmart ($5,000), Amazon ($3,500), Best Buy Visa ($1,000), Kay's ($3,000)

In the last week (in frustration for not getting larger than $500 CLIs. I know. I know...) I applied for 2 cards and was approved.

image.jpeg

All unpaid collections are updating monthly because I'm currently paying them. Not seeing any scores lowering significantly, even with the updates.

Edited to add pic

Congrats.  You've done a wonderful job of rebuilding.  Thanks for sharing your wonderful news.  You're an inspiration to us all.  Enjoy gardening.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 4
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@dawnm72174 wrote:

image.jpeg

Edited to add pic

Congrats on your success!

Barclay was good to me, too.   They were my first 5-digit initial CL after my rebuild.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 4
dawnm72174
Regular Contributor

Thank you both Kay and Sunrise.

At this point, I'm content with what I now have. Next thing is to combine the Cap1s once I get my CLI.

Also forgot to mention my CareCredit approval last month. I now am the proud owner of a new set of chompers Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.