Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding After Divorce

tag
jbb27885
New Contributor

Rebuilding After Divorce

Hello everyone, I used to be somewhat active on these boards during the good times. In the last year I have been going through a divorce and my score which started in the 700's is now in the mid 500's after a divorce, several late payments, high debt, and a collection or 2. I've managed to get my credit utilization down below 30%, paid off all collection accounts, and settled several high balances with the banks. Hopefully this gives you an idea of where I may be at as far as my credit goes. I do have two small children and I would like to purchase a house within the next year to give them a permenate place to grow up. Does anyone have any advice for me as to where I can go from here? Also, last month I attempted a secure credit card with Cap1 and also Discover, denied for both. What can I do? Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding After Divorce

@jbb27885 wrote:

Hello everyone, I used to be somewhat active on these boards during the good times. In the last year I have been going through a divorce and my score which started in the 700's is now in the mid 500's after a divorce, several late payments, high debt, and a collection or 2. I've managed to get my credit utilization down below 30%, paid off all collection accounts, and settled several high balances with the banks. Hopefully this gives you an idea of where I may be at as far as my credit goes. I do have two small children and I would like to purchase a house within the next year to give them a permenate place to grow up. Does anyone have any advice for me as to where I can go from here? Also, last month I attempted a secure credit card with Cap1 and also Discover, denied for both. What can I do? Thank you!

First off  ... I've been there, though I'm pretty sure my scores haven't even sniffed the 700s in 20+ years, so you can do this Smiley Happy 

First thing you need to do is get your credit reports. You can get a free copy annually, or you can sign up for things like Credit Check Total, or heck, even Credit Karma, not for the scores, but for the reports. Get your reports, from all three bureaus. Check for errors, if you find them, dispute them. Check to make sure the collections you say have been paid are reporting as paid. There may be collections reporting that you're unaware of (which could be hampering your ability to get credit). You need a FULL picture of what you're dealing with (and we need it too, in order to offer the best advice). 

It's hard to say why you were denied by Cap 1 and Discover without knowing the full picture. Did you burn them before with chargoffs? 

There are other credit options ... not the best, but you need to establish something. Open Sky is one that comes without a credit pull I believe ... your limit will be small, and I believe there's an annual fee, but you've got to start somewhere. 

From here on ... USE ALL CREDIT WISELY. I cannot stress this enough. Do NOT miss a payment, do NOT let your balance get out of control. 

After that ... it's a matter of time ... and being patient. Credit repair takes time, and it's not an overnight process. The waiting is hard, but the payoff is rewarding. 

I've gone from the low 500s/high 400s to the mid to upper 600s since I really started working on this in February. Like I said ... if I can, you can too.

Message 2 of 4
jbb27885
New Contributor

Thank you for your advice king. I went ahead and signed up for the Open Sky card. I think I was approved for this but I'm not totally sure, didn't give me a for sure approval but didn't have any problem taking my money. Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol ... Sounds like you're in Smiley Happy

Now get your reports and find out exactly where you are
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.