Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding After Identity Theft

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding After Identity Theft

Long story - Apoligies in advance.

6 months ago I had no bank account, a high paying job, no car, a wife with so-so credit, and no access to my credit reports. I couldn't figure out why when I tried to access my credit reports, no matter how I answered the questions, I couldn't access any of the bureaus. When I called to talk to each one, I couldn't even get the agents to access my file. I was confused. I figured I had no credit to speak of.

I went to apply for an auto loan with my wife and was told I have a 428 credit score with TU, 2 repos, 57 accounts in collections, open but past due utility accounts, 3 judgements, 3 evictions, and a slough of 30-60-90 day lates on a vehicle I didn't own. I got a copy of that report and my headache began. 

I started by using the information I had on the report to sign up for each credit bureau. I was finally in. I put fraud alerts on all 3 bureaus, and started disputing EVERYTHING. I went to the social secuirty office and demanded a new social security number - turns out a few someones were working under my social, but they don't like issuing new numbers. Credit was opened in states I never lived in, apartments rented, utilities opened, tons of emergency room visits... It was a total mess. After many faxes, phone calls, and trips to the post office, I got a ton of bad stuff removed.

After 3 months I had enough removed to get a super sub-prime auto loan (28%) with my wife as a co-signer. My wife traded in her vehicle for a 2nd car, which was also financed at the same time for a little less of a sub-prime rate (18%). I was still working with a 540ish credit score with each bureau.

Today, I am happy to report that my Equifax is up to a 704 Fico 8, because we have been making on-time payments on both my old student loan and our 2 new cars. I was approved for a Discover It card with a $1500 limit this month, which I promptly charged 9% on, and it actually reported 4 days after I opened and charged the card to both Equifax and Experian.  My Experian is still at a 589 Fico 8 because 3 collections are lingering, but I am working on it. My TU is at 573 Fico 8, with 4 collections, one of which is a judgement for an apartment I never rented in a state I have never lived in. Also, TU is not yet reporting my Discover card. 

I just got back a clear ChexSystems report, because that was bonkers too. I immediately went and opened up a credit union account, and just got approved for a refinance of my 28% vehicle, and brought it down to 3.4%. Yay!

So now, here's where I need help. I have filed affadavits and a police report with the bureaus, but they are not removing the remaining baddies. They are not in my name and are not at addresses I have ever lived at, but of course the creditors "verify". However, one of the dipsh*ts that stole my identity had actually filed an affadavit to get things removed and get more credit  a couple of years ago. I can't make this up. For this reason, they are not working with me. So now, I am going to the creditors directly. They have admitted that the signatures and basic appearance do not match, and that I have documentation that shows I was across the country at the time this all occurred. We have one possible suspect so far in all of this, but the trail went cold because the person died, so the cops are not working with me any further. Is there anything else I can do to make these creditors remove these items from my credit report?

TLDR - Raised scores 200+ points removing identity theft, need help with stragglers.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuilding After Identity Theft

Wow, sorry for all of the hassle you went through. But congrats on coming this far from that. I don't know the answer to your question, but sure am interested in what the options are, if there are any.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 6
torry590
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

6 months ago I had no bank account, a high paying job, no car, a wife with so-so credit, and no access to my credit reports. I couldn't figure out why when I tried to access my credit reports, no matter how I answered the questions, I couldn't access any of the bureaus. When I called to talk to each one, I couldn't even get the agents to access my file. I was confused. I figured I had no credit to speak of.

I went to apply for an auto loan with my wife and was told I have a 428 credit score with TU, 2 repos, 57 accounts in collections, open but past due utility accounts, 3 judgements, 3 evictions, and a slough of 30-60-90 day lates on a vehicle I didn't own. I got a copy of that report and my headache began. 

I started by using the information I had on the report to sign up for each credit bureau. I was finally in. I put fraud alerts on all 3 bureaus, and started disputing EVERYTHING. I went to the social secuirty office and demanded a new social security number - turns out a few someones were working under my social, but they don't like issuing new numbers. Credit was opened in states I never lived in, apartments rented, utilities opened, tons of emergency room visits... It was a total mess. After many faxes, phone calls, and trips to the post office, I got a ton of bad stuff removed.

After 3 months I had enough removed to get a super sub-prime auto loan (28%) with my wife as a co-signer. My wife traded in her vehicle for a 2nd car, which was also financed at the same time for a little less of a sub-prime rate (18%). I was still working with a 540ish credit score with each bureau.

Today, I am happy to report that my Equifax is up to a 704 Fico 8, because we have been making on-time payments on both my old student loan and our 2 new cars. I was approved for a Discover It card with a $1500 limit this month, which I promptly charged 9% on, and it actually reported 4 days after I opened and charged the card to both Equifax and Experian.  My Experian is still at a 589 Fico 8 because 3 collections are lingering, but I am working on it. My TU is at 573 Fico 8, with 4 collections, one of which is a judgement for an apartment I never rented in a state I have never lived in. Also, TU is not yet reporting my Discover card. 

I just got back a clear ChexSystems report, because that was bonkers too. I immediately went and opened up a credit union account, and just got approved for a refinance of my 28% vehicle, and brought it down to 3.4%. Yay!

So now, here's where I need help. I have filed affadavits and a police report with the bureaus, but they are not removing the remaining baddies. They are not in my name and are not at addresses I have ever lived at, but of course the creditors "verify". However, one of the dipsh*ts that stole my identity had actually filed an affadavit to get things removed and get more credit  a couple of years ago. I can't make this up. For this reason, they are not working with me. So now, I am going to the creditors directly. They have admitted that the signatures and basic appearance do not match, and that I have documentation that shows I was across the country at the time this all occurred. We have one possible suspect so far in all of this, but the trail went cold because the person died, so the cops are not working with me any further. Is there anything else I can do to make these creditors remove these items from my credit report?

TLDR - Raised scores 200+ points removing identity theft, need help with stragglers.

Holy crap!!!! I am SO sorry this happened to you.  I had some Identity Theft, I read that they have 4 days to block the information permanently under the FCRA.  

To get my few ID theft lingeres off my report, I filed complaints with the CFPB (consumer financial protection bureau) they were off my reports within a week and I had deletion letters.  I would suggest going this route, since it seems like all other outlets have been exhausted. Good luck!

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

FCRA 605B. Does not involve creditors, only the CRA's. If they snivel about "creditors verifying" hit them with an intent to sue for refusing to abide by the requirements of FCRA 605B - as long as you present them with the required four documents, they MUST either 1. remove the indicated items within 4 days, or  2. provide you with an explanation why it is not being removed. There are only a couple of reasons they can legitimately refuse - basically if they believe you have made mistake, or if they believe you benefitted from the ID theft. They really have no "wiggle room" though EQ frequently does a lot of wiggling in these instances, usually by treating it as if its an ordinary dispute.

You really need to quote the letter of the law to these dipwads....

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your replies! I successfully got 1 more item off of my report, and I did that by calling the OC, getting the PHONE NUMBER on the account, then calling the CA, and giving them the PHONE NUMBER. When they looked it up that way, it came up someone else's name! I said OH GREAT, so you KNOW it isn't me?! They said that I obviously had ties to this person and so I was responsible for the debt. I told them to go suck a legal egg, and lo and behold the account was removed from TU this morning.

I got a call from the officer that I thought was done working my case this morning, and he got me a copy of an ID that was used in conjunction with my social, but a different name. This person is the same one that passed away, but has now been tied to me in more than one case of debt. I took the copy of the ID and sent it to the CA that is the biggest pain in my side, as well as the OC, and said 'c'mon folks, quit being stupid, it's obvious it is not me. Eye color, height, the FACE is different.'. We will see what happens...

In the meantime, EQ has been GREAT and is 100% clean. TU and EX are playing hardball, and are saying I can't 605b because this person filed an affadavit years ago, and so now I have 'ties' to the names they used. I will take the CFPB suggestion and run with it after I talk to the BIG CA today (the remaining eviction/judgement). I talked to the property manager yesterday as well, and he said that the person's demographic makeup was NOTHING like mine... this person has kids, I don't. This person is a certain ethnicity, I am not. This person is way older than I am. Sorry, I am ranting but UGHHHHHHH! SO frustrating.

Thanks again for listening! Any suggestions in addition are more than welcome... commisseration also welcome haha.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone is reading this thread, an update... The latest breakthrough from the police was the final nail in the coffin of the evicton/judgement getting removed! It's supposed to be gone within a week. Hooray! On to the next... utilities at that address, and 2 collections from emergency room visits.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.