cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit Card Help - Where to apply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Credit Card Help - Where to apply?

**CLI
Message 11 of 15
mysterythemoon
Regular Contributor

I agree with the previous posts... I started rebuilding at the end of July after years of accumulating baddies of $200 here, $400 there (utilities mostly). It sucks, but it gets better. Once you get hard copies of your three reports, and your scores, you know where you're starting point is. That's when you scream to yourself, "what took me so long?!" But it gets better. I grabbed the Discover It secured at $200. Next day grabbed the Cap1 secured at $200. Both were talked about by another member on this forum. Since then (three statement months, almost four), my scores have gone up roughtly 80 points on average via FICO. It's all patience. 

Started on July 4th, 2016 with 400's FAKO scores, no FICO, a dozen baddies and no credit of any kind.

As of March 2018, Before The Fall:
AmEx Blue Cash Everyday: $12,600
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000
Bank Of America BankAmericard: $6,000
Capital One Quicksilver One: $5,500
Citi Diamond Preferred: $5,400
NFCU Cash Rewards Visa Signature: $5,100
NFCU Go Rewards MasterCard World: $5,000
Wells Fargo Propel: $3,500
Barclay's Uber Visa: $2,500
AmEx Starwood Preferred Guest: $2,000
Citi Double Cash: $1,500
AmEx Hilton Honors: $1,000
Discover It: $600
Capital One Platinum: $500

TOTAL 2018 CREDIT LINE: $61,200

JUNE 2023 UPDATE
2020: COVID toppled me. All old accounts went into default. Business lost. Car repossessed.
2021: Cap1 let me back in (one secured/two not). Secured Mission Lane. AU on AMEX Gold, Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire. Car loan approved without cosigner for $20,000. All current.
Currently: No lawsuits. Thinking most SOL have expired on CC debt. Fingers crossed my math and memory are correct.

CURRENT SITUATION:
Mission Lane Secured: $3,400 (SL $400 -- unasked for CLI)
Capital One Secured: $300
Capital One QS1: $300
Capital One Savor: $1,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred: $10,000 (AU)
AMEX Gold: No Preset Limit (AU)
Citi Premier: $8,500 (AU)

SPRING 2026
ALL BADDIES DROP
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started with Capital One and they have been increasing my credit line every 6 months.
Message 13 of 15
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

@81kaerae You might be thinking of the Cap1 rebuilder card. The Cap1 secured card will report well before 6 months. And it seems that usually right around the 6th statement (9 days after is most common) Cap1 will give a 300 CLI and no other CLI. But the OP has an unsecured card anyway
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@rmduhon wrote:
Does your bank/CU offer secured cards? At this point that may be the only option until the Cap1 Platinum reaches 6 months.

No it actually does not. I may start reading about becoming a member at a CU, as I am not currently. Thanks. 

@Anonymous wrote:

When I had your credit scores (not too long ago) I applied for credit one, and First Premier...got approved on both, but with major catches. Both of these cards have very high fees, and often will not offer anything over $300-$500 in CL. I have read on the forum that secured cards with no fees are a good idea. 

Thanks. Do you know, do secured cards report differently on your credit report that unsecured ones?

@Anonymous wrote:
I would baby that Cap One card. Treat it very well and you'll see some increases. They may even let you upgrade it to a QuickSilver after not too terribly long.

Will do. I believe I was offered the Quicksilver Card when I applied to Capital One. I remember being offered the Platinum and QS card and chose the Platinum because it had zero annual fee. 

Is the Quicksilver card better for any reason? Rewards I'm guessing? I'm not really into rewards. If it is better for CLI's and is a better card I guess I should have chose it! 

Thanks!

Actually you made the right choice. The Platinum is better because its no AF, and you can have the QS rewards added to it after the first statement - it will remain no AF after doing that.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.