Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit Collections Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Credit Collections Question

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit. I have recently applied for a capital one secure card that is in the mail to me and also passed the check to get a Discover It secure card (but haven't put my $200 deposit on yet)

Anyway I have a debt from 2015 from Fingerhut that has since been purchased by Jefferson Capital Systems. Jefferson sent me a letter stating if I paid $78 in full that they would be satisfied......if I pay it off will this help my credit score any? i have been reading up on the issue and some say to pay it, not to pay it, dipsute it etc just wanted another opinion. 

Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Credit Collections Question

@Anonymous wrote:

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit. I have recently applied for a capital one secure card that is in the mail to me and also passed the check to get a Discover It secure card (but haven't put my $200 deposit on yet)

Anyway I have a debt from 2015 from Fingerhut that has since been purchased by Jefferson Capital Systems. Jefferson sent me a letter stating if I paid $78 in full that they would be satisfied......if I pay it off will this help my credit score any? i have been reading up on the issue and some say to pay it, not to pay it, dipsute it etc just wanted another opinion. 

Thank you in advance. 

Welcome to the forums.

As you have both a CO and a collection, you have two negatives reporting.  If you can settle the collection, it would be a good idea, especially if it is reporting monthly.  In the long run, taking care of the collection will allow your score to start to rebound.  Once you settle the collection, you can try to GW both the OC and CA to see if they will remove the tradelines. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for responding. I'll pay the $78 its worth it to me in the long run especially if I can somehow pursuade them to remove the baddie from my report. 

Message 3 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In general, paying a debt that is currently reporting as a collection does not negate the reporting of the collection, and does not per se obtain direct score increase.

However, depending upon the circumstances, there could be associated scoring implications.

If the debt collector is reporting monthly, that is effecting scoring since FICO views the update as an effective reporting that the debt delinquency has extended to that date.  Paying ceases updated reporting by the debt collector that the debt remains delinquent.

If the debt is revolving and the creditor still owns the debt, paying can result in decreased % util on the OC account, with possible scoring improvement.

Finally, if you can get a PFD, then the impact of the collection is removed entirely.

Disputing is an entirely different issue.  If you dispute the validiity of the debt itself, then yu might not wish to pay any debt that is not legitimate.

However, you could decide that resolving the matter is more important, such as if payment if being requred as a condition for a mortgage approval.

If your dispute relates only to a secondary matter, and not to the validity of the debt per se, then correction may have little or no substantive impact on the debt or your scoring.

Additionally, confrontation by way of dispute could lessen your chances of obtaining a possible grant of a good-will deletion or a low settlement acceptance.

Thus, there are many conflicting opinions as to paying delinquent debt.

General opinions may or may not be consistent with your personal objectives.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Convergent/Jefferson Capital Systems is kinda shady or at least it seems it. I tried to pay online via the link provided but it wouldn't go through I suppose they want me to call them so they can get my social which makes me nervous. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Convergent/Jefferson Capital Systems is kinda shady or at least it seems it. I tried to pay online via the link provided but it wouldn't go through I suppose they want me to call them so they can get my social which makes me nervous. 

Does the letter from them provide for you to be able to send them the balance through a money order?  I never want any collector to have access to my checking account.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It says check by phone, western union, and debit/credit card. So I could send them a money order then that would probably be safest. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It says check by phone, western union, and debit/credit card. So I could send them a money order then that would probably be safest. 

When I was paying off my collections, I either went the prepaid debit card route or money order. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea. I'll pick up a prepaid card and pay that way quicker and safe. 

Message 9 of 10
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

If you have the account number then they don't need your social, they'll be able to find it by the account number.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.