Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit/ First Step

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Credit/ First Step

TY in advance for reading and  resonding to  my post:

As a young adult, I aquired credit card debt (due to foolishness on my part) and a student loan.  FF 10yrs. I NOW know the importance of credit. Long Term goal is to buy a house. Short term goal is to rebuild my credit.  School loan was just paid off in full a month ago, and some cc debt was paid in full (no payment plans, or reduced plans), and some cc had fallen off my credit report due to how old it was. Current credit score is 638 w Equifax, and 631 with Experian. I am NOW very finacially responsible, employed with my current employer for 7+years, but need help on first steps to take to restoring my credit.. I thought of a secure cc with my credit union I bank with. Funds are not an issue, and figured this would be the best way to get started, I did try for a regular cc with them, but was not approved, due to lack of credit history ( go figure). Im hesitant on the secured option vs a nonsecured option with other cc companies like capitol one or NFL credit card or the barclay card, just because of the hard inquiries on my cr. I figured with the secured, my credit isn't ran and I can build my credit, but I think about the future 2 yrs and closing the account when I open other ones. Finger hut sent me a mailer also, but I can't fathom the idea of buying something that I can find in a department store for 1/2 the price.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding Credit/ First Step

@Anonymous wrote:

TY in advance for reading and  resonding to  my post:

As a young adult, I aquired credit card debt (due to foolishness on my part) and a student loan.  FF 10yrs. I NOW know the importance of credit. Long Term goal is to buy a house. Short term goal is to rebuild my credit.  School loan was just paid off in full a month ago, and some cc debt was paid in full (no payment plans, or reduced plans), and some cc had fallen off my credit report due to how old it was. Current credit score is 638 w Equifax, and 631 with Experian. I am NOW very finacially responsible, employed with my current employer for 7+years, but need help on first steps to take to restoring my credit.. I thought of a secure cc with my credit union I bank with. Funds are not an issue, and figured this would be the best way to get started, I did try for a regular cc with them, but was not approved, due to lack of credit history ( go figure). Im hesitant on the secured option vs a nonsecured option with other cc companies like capitol one or NFL credit card or the barclay card, just because of the hard inquiries on my cr. I figured with the secured, my credit isn't ran and I can build my credit, but I think about the future 2 yrs and closing the account when I open other ones. Finger hut sent me a mailer also, but I can't fathom the idea of buying something that I can find in a department store for 1/2 the price.

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

I would look at getting into SDFCU, they have a secured card thats an sp to open if you already have the money in savings and app for it by phone. You can try Cap-1, its going to be a triple pull (one on each bureau). What you are going to want at minimum to drive your rebuild are 3 revolving bankcards and 1 store card that you will actually use and I dont recommend FH, I agree with your comments on the high prices. I would also be  working to get your derogs taken care of that are remaining on your CRs. First thing is to request hard copies delivered thru the mail from each of the CRAs.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.