Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit: Just got approved for Chase Freedom Unlimited

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: Rebuilding Credit: Just got approved for Chase Freedom Unlimited

if your not opted out, id try the cap one prequalifier at least.... 

otherwise. YES i would try for a cap one card even now.. yes your going to get three pulls.. but the cap one is a little more low hanging fruit than the chase card... 

id app for it in your situation....

-J

Message 11 of 52
jujubeans1
Valued Member

I just tried CapOne prequalifier and got a:

"We couldn't match your records to a card offer..."

I think I opted out back when I wanted to be let alone and not bothered by Secured Card offers, etc...but not exactly sure.

On another note, I just called CapOne and asked if they would reconsider last year's application and they said they would need to find the application and to call them on Monday to discuss it with them (after I told them Chase approved me with no problems).

Keep on trying.
Message 12 of 52
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Your still probably going to get three new pulls.. been too long .....Reconsideration usually only works within 30 days of a rejection... and then it sometimes requires additional hard pulls...

Calling them is not going to get you out of getting HPs.... 

Message 13 of 52
joltdude
Senior Contributor

If your that paranoid, you could try opting back in.. waiting a week.. and try the prequal again.. But your gonna get 3 new pulls regardless of what method you take.to try for the card.. the reconsideration is too old..... Just take the pulls and try for the card... ..... If you dont get it, wait 6 months and try again... .. BOA was a bit of a reach for an approval....... 

If you want real  credit you need to take HP... its just the way it is... (I dont consider store cards via SCT real credit... too low of a SL)

Message 14 of 52
jujubeans1
Valued Member

Yikes... ok, I understand.

And btw, how do I opt in again??

HP is something I def wanna try avoiding but seems it's inevitable.

Keep on trying.
Message 15 of 52
joltdude
Senior Contributor

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/ is the official website for opting in.... and opting out...

saw preapprovals within a week of opting back in online... YMMV..

Heres the thing.. the whole damaging affect of HP ... is when people app for multiple products  with low AAoA...

Your AAoA isnt high.. .... also realize their effect is minimized the longer the HP ages.. most of the affect for a particular HP is done after a year on your report...

Your going to take a few pulls.. and its going to hurt more due to your AAoA hit... but it will also get better with age and time.. and making payments....

If the Cap One card was a bit more conservative, id be like. wait a few more months.. they arent... they also can forgive and forget.. they are a good middle level rebuilding card.... that can eventually become what is pretty much a Prime product ... Being able to age another card along with the Chase... is a really good thing... Some Fico scores are stronger than others... and a lot of it is due to the Average Age of Accounts..  You want to thicken your file esp if you want a morgage in 2 years..  think you were saying a year... Dont think its quite realistic.. your file needs a bit of thickening, and some baddies to fall off.. and some established credit and payment reliability.... its too soon... .. You need some more estabilished credit... but you cant be applying for cards right before a morgage.... 

This is also why for you it might be a good idea to take the HP now.... because if your trying for a morgage, you do NOT want to be taking ANY HPs or getting or applying for any credit cards at that time. (After the keys are exchange.. thats another issue)...

Hope some of it makes sense.. 

Message 16 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't worry about inquries...It's part of the process...Just apply to what makes sense to you and not what others want you to do.
Message 17 of 52
jujubeans1
Valued Member

Wow!

Talk about being knowledgeable... I will try and follow that.

One more thing, my current car lease is almost up... it expires in September this year.

Do you think if I added the CapOne now it can look bad trying to get another lease?

With CapOne, it will be 6 inquiries.

Keep on trying.
Message 18 of 52
jujubeans1
Valued Member

Oh... wait... 

and regarding CapOne... whcih card do u recommend?

factoring my current scores and baddies

Keep on trying.
Message 19 of 52
kennerchick
Frequent Contributor

Curious what your credit scores are to get a Chase card?

Thanks

Starting all over again!
Message 20 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.