Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit- defaulted student loans

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Credit- defaulted student loans

I am in the process of starting to establish/rebuild credit after defaulting on my federal student loans roughly 8 years ago. I was under the impression my credit would still be very poor because of the loans, but after checking my score, I found otherwise. My scores are actually good. I dont have any active credit except for a joint account with a relative.

Im still very confused about how my scores can be high with that type of history. i was told by a few people that because it was over 7 years ago that it may have stopped affecting my credit score. It seems that my credit started to climb around the begining of last year, which would have been about 7 years.

i was under the impression that federal loans never stop affecting credit. Am I incorrect?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I am also wondering about the best way to rebuild/ establish credit

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding Credit- defaulted student loans

Federally backed SLs are subject to the Higher Education Act and CRTP may be different for them.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Did you ultimately pay the student loans after your default?

Federal student loans are exempted per the Higher Education Act from SOL and from the normal credit report exclusion periods while the debt remains in default.

The lendor is additionally required under the Higher Education Act to report to at least one CRA.

Is the loan still in default, and is it still showing in your credit report?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not pay on them at all. No action was taken on my part. It shows that it was removed. Roughly a year ago
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.