Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit with 4 collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Credit with 4 collections

Hello first time poster long time lurker here...

My husband and I are trying to repair/rebuild his credit. We are in the process of buying a home (in my name with MIL as co-borrower) and our goal is to refiance in 2018 to get MIL off and add him to the loan. He has several collections for medical bills dating back to 2011 from when he was uninsured and had cancer treatments and surgery (stage 4 survivor). He has been unable to pay any of is collections and we think most will be falling off in the next year or so. One of his medical collections he was taken to court and a judgement was filed for $382. It appears on his credit report that this judgement is being reported two more times by a new collector that popped up 11/7/16 for different amounts, one for $50 and one for $565. Can this be reported 3 times like this? It made his score go down 60pts because of this! He hasnt stepped foot into a hospital for medical treatment since 2012 so these are not new accrude collections. I am guessing it was resold to this Common Wealth company and they must have added fees to this. 

His collections as follows:

$50-11/7/16 common wealth scranton pa (new one)

$565-11/7/16 common wealth scranton pa (new one)

$382-8/15/2012 circuit court (judgement)

$3582-6/13/13 DCMA

We have been working on increasing his score for the past year. He has a secured visa card ($500) uses below 9%, a new car note from feb 2016 has not been late on (his mom cosigned for this) has been current on all his student loan payments for 9 months. His scores are now sitting at 622EX 537TU 554EQ. his scores started at all below 500 a year ago (missed payments and repos on old car note, and non payment on student loans for nearly a year). 

These two new/old collections have taken such a big hit to his scores Smiley Sad We have requested validation from common wealth for the new/old collections that hit. I am prepared to start the hippa process for the other collections and hoping to see an increase from hopefully removing them. Any feedback on best plan of attack to build credit from here for him and also any advice with the new collections being reported multiple times like this? Seems very snakey to me. 

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.