Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit

tag
serenevoice
Established Member

Rebuilding Credit

My credit has gone down.  I have been denied by a few cards.  So I checked credit karma and got my scores.

My student loans are in forbearance 

Who can I start with to establish credit

I have  no credit cards or personal loans

TU 517

EQ 494

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuilding Credit

Before you go further, I'd get your Fico scores. The CK scores are not the ones used by most lenders. They can be way off your true Fico scores.

Usually, Cap1 or someone like that would be a good start for a secured card. You may want to check the prequalified sites.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 6
serenevoice
Established Member

Thanks @RM21. I will check FICO. Also the my bank rate Vantage score(done by mortgage company ) also shows TU 517.  It's going to be interesting to compare.

With pre-qualigy sites, does that put hard inquiries on the credit report?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prequal do not use a hard inq, but sometimea is not a very good indicator of approval. If you are concerned about being denied start with an open sky secured card , they dont do a hard inq. Discover It secured isnt a bad option either ...no annual fee but you get the pull. Have you applied with capital one ? What has made tou score go down ? Do you have a lot of collections or a judgment?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@serenevoice wrote:

@Anonymous @RM21. I will check FICO. Also the my bank rate Vantage score(done by mortgage company ) also shows TU 517.  It's going to be interesting to compare.

With pre-qualigy sites, does that put hard inquiries on the credit report?

CK uses the Vantage 3.0 model, just like the bank rate Vantage score you quoted - thats why they are identical. However, Vantage is NOT a score that is used by lenders to extend credit - virtually all use FICO 8 or one of the earlier FICO versions. I would suggest going to Credit Check Total and signing up for their 7 day $1 trial and get all three FICO 8 scores. If you cancel before the 7 days is up, they will offer you the service for half price - $14.97 - well worth it, IMHO.

Message 5 of 6
serenevoice
Established Member

No judgments, but collection from student loans which are now in forbearance.  I haven't tried Cap 1 because I read you need a higher score.

A day my TU 517   EQ 494

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.