Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit

tag
WayUpto850
New Contributor

Rebuilding Credit

Greetings MyFICO Community,

I am in the process of rebuilding my credit after the 2008 financial disaster, 5 years of job furlough and many years of health issues (stabilized, but still ongoing).  Due to my poor health, I initially signed up for a Debt Management Plan with Money Market International - they were VERY HELPFUL at no to low cost.

Now that my health has improved, I have joined myFICO, printed my credit report and began the process of cleaning up my file.  I am very pleased with my first round of disputes.  The results are I went from 11 collection accounts reporting to 4 collection accounts.  WooHoo!!!!

The four collection accounts are paid in full. One I really disagree with - a gym membership which I prepaid more than $3000.00 for personal training package. Due to the onset of poor health, I was only able to use about 10 sessions.  I informed the gym of my decline in health and they continued to bill me for 3 months after I stopped attending - racking up an additional $222 debt which they claimed I owed - never mind they still had more than $2000.00 of my money in unused personal training sessions which they never refunded to me....

Anyway, my question to the forum is: How can I get these four remaining paid collections off my report.  I have already disputed the items with the hope the creditor will not respond - hoping credit bureau would then remove debt - no luck.  I have also requested creditor stop reporting (Good Will) - no luck there as yet either.

In the past I have also paid credit cleaning companies to "clean" my credit. They claimed they would repeatedly dispute the item until it is finally removed. No luck with that either but I'm wondering should I become obnoxious myself and try their approach on these four remaining accounts.

"I commit to being grateful for all that I now have in my life."

Pulling up the weeds and gardening until Dec 2017.

Beginning Apr 2017 FICO 575
Feb 2018 FICO 701
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuilding Credit

GW letters. Search this site for the Saturation Technique. If a dispute has no new information it can be ignored as frivolous.
Message 2 of 7
WayUpto850
New Contributor

I take it then that I may be stuck with these 4 paid collections reporting for a little while...

Feb 2018 FICO 701
Message 3 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

What's the date of first delinquency (DOFD) on each of the collections?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 7
WayUpto850
New Contributor

Medicgrrl, thanks for your response to my post. Accts and dates are as follows:

1. Dentist Bill - I think I paid it, but no receipt - schduled to drop off /Oct 2017. Disputed with all 3 CB - EQ and TU removed it.  Still showing on EX.

2. AT&T Uverse $193 paid.   Feb 2016 missed payment - in surgery and recovery. May 2016 to collection. When they shut it off while I was sick, I joined T-Mobile - pay as you go internet service.

3. Comcast cable $178 paid. Mar 2016 missed payment - surgery and recovery. Jul 2016 to collection. When they cut it off while I was sick, I "cut the cable cord", bought a Clear TV antenna, and began streaming from my T-mobile internet (FREE BASIC HDTV). I disputed this item with all 3 CB - only TU removed it.

4. Gym membership $222 paid. I informed gym I would no longer be able to attend due to poor health.  They continued to bill me for 3 months - despite the fact they had more than $2500.00 I paid to them for personal training which I did not use!! I disputed with all 3 CB EQ and EX removed it - still showing on TU. Acct went to collection Jan 2011 so DoFD was around Sept/Oct 2010. Paid in 2012. Set to come off 9/2017.

Feb 2018 FICO 701
Message 5 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I would concentrate on the AT&T and Comcast for now. Start a Goodwill campaign to the CEO's of the companies (collection agencies) and explain your situation and request they be deleted. Don't use form letters, be sincere and honest and request their help.
As for the other 2, wait a couple of months and request early exclusion from the CRA's

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 7
WayUpto850
New Contributor

Thx Much Medicgrrl,
I'll give it a try. I really like AT&T and would return to being their customer in the future - if they would remove this from my file. Otherwise, I'll just keep dealing with TMobile.

Feb 2018 FICO 701
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.