Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Plan of Action

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Plan of Action

Just like so many others at the age of 18 I got offers for various credit cards. I got one and was doing great paying it off; was late a few times and then had some issues at work resulting in me defaulting. It was eventually charged off as bad credit. I was forced into going to college (which I was not mentally mature enough for yet) and ended up quitting after a few months - thus oweing the school $3,000 because my financial aid was pulled. That's in collections.

I recently attended and graduated from school and have student loans that are being paid on time every month with no issues. I've got a secured credit card coming at the end of the month from Capital One. While on credit karma it said I had good chances for both the C1 Quick Silver and C1 Platinum - applied for both and was approved for a $300 limit on both. 

Am I on the right path? What should I do now?

scores are 597/598

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Plan of Action

Welcome to the forum! You will get a wealth of information here.

How long ago were the charge offs and collections? Maybe they will just fall off your CR in short time. What state do you live in?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both were only a few years ago. Charge off just changed to sold to another party so I'm waiting on a letter or call and then will take care of that (offering around 30% for a PFD/paid in full at the least). I will be doing the same thing for the money owed to the college/collections soon. I live in Massachusetts, both debts occured while living in Indiana.

And thank you for the welcome Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Both were only a few years ago. Charge off just changed to sold to another party so I'm waiting on a letter or call and then will take care of that (offering around 30% for a PFD/paid in full at the least). I will be doing the same thing for the money owed to the college/collections soon. I live in Massachusetts, both debts occured while living in Indiana.

And thank you for the welcome Smiley Happy

Before you contact anyone you need to know your states SOL. If these debts are still inside the SOL then they can sue and get a judgment. Student loans operate differently from other forms of credit if they are backed by the federal government. Welcome to mY Fico Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale - the money was owed directly to the college, not student loans. It is now in the hands of a collection agency.

Message 5 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale - the money was owed directly to the college, not student loans. It is now in the hands of a collection agency.

Ok then its going to follow regular timelines and not the federal SL guidelines. How you approach each of your creditors and the amount you offer them is going to be determined by whether or not they are inside or outside your states SOL. If they are still inside as I said in my last post they can still sue for the full amount due so you are going to want to offer them at least 75% of the amount due to settle and I would not contact them unless you have the full amount on hand to settle you never know what they are going to do. Now if the debt is past SOL you have more leeway, the typical offer would be 30-50%.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I find out the SOL for collections? And do I go with the Indiana timeframe or the Massachusetts timeframe? Debt occured in Indiana but I moved to Mass last year.

Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

How can I find out the SOL for collections? And do I go with the Indiana timeframe or the Massachusetts timeframe? Debt occured in Indiana but I moved to Mass last year.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/state-statutes-of-limitations-for-old-debts-1.aspx

You can use your previous states SOL if its shorter than the state you are now living in if your current state has "borrowing statutes". With borrowing stautes you can also use the SOL in the state that the creditor is incorporated in if its shorter than the timeframe in state you are now living in. Your college costs are going to be considered written contracts and any credit card debt is considered open accounts unless there are judicial proceedings in a state that sets other precedence. GA is a good example the SOL tables say one thing but the courts have said another and the SOL is 6 years for CC debt in GA... The holy graille is to actually look up your states statutes in the codified laws that control how the judicial system works.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Indiana has a 10 year SOL and Mass has a 6 year SOL. So I will need to pay in full. Darn!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.