Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding - Road to Mortgage! - CLOSING DATE!!! Update

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding - Road to Mortgage!

That's what I'm thinking!   He is all positive accounts now - UTIL is too high - but we are working on that - at least is says "no derogatory accounts" now!!  AND the mortgage lender said it had to be paid before we could apply anyway!  

Message 51 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

This whole thread was inspiring!

Message 52 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love this post! It is giving me the confidence to continue my quest for a house. What are your scores now?
Message 53 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!!

Still working on paying down UTIL - we had some things happen (like a $2000 car repair) but still working it.   Starting the middle of June I will work on contacting about the tax lien.   I was told to wait 6 weeks after paying it off to contact the department to have it removed from credit reporting....Something about the Iowa Department of Revenue needing time to notify the county where it was recorded or something.....

Anyway - my scores right now are Exp 658 and TU 687 (from credit card statements)  We are well on our way...the bad stuff is basically off, except the lien and that is going soon, the lates are getting older, and we are working on paying down UTIL.   I am sure once the UTIL is paid down - we will be well over 700 and ready to mortgage shop!

Message 54 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok - when it rains it pours...but at least I"m still in the game.

Hubby has been out of work projects for the last 2 months (he is self employed)....we have not paid things down, but used more credit to get by....ARGH.

However, next summer I will have a new job with almost double the salary - so if I can just squeak by until then I figure I can pay everything off in a matter of months.   Also - DH usually is way busier in the summer months....so we should be ok.

Still holding out for the landlord....they mentioned just selling us the house we are in this winter..I'd like that if we can swing it, but I know that we need to get the UTIL paid off/down so that the debt ratio isn't so out of whack.   I should get a decent bonus in December...but probably need it for the down payment rather than using it to pay things off.   I do have ONE option to borrow funds from someone to pay things down, but I don't really want to use it.   I'm hoping we can make it.  

I can now get 3 fico scores for free off my cards....I'm holding steady around 660-675 on all three.   Not great -but not bad....I got a few CLIs to help that % ratio - but hate to apply for much new to get a real jump on my total credit line balance/ratio thing and I keep paying down on the car....less than a year left on it and I'm tempted to take the bonus $$ and pay it off.   I figure that $250 a month would be better going to CC debt to get some of those back under 50% owed on.   At least I have credit and we are getting by...now to get it under control!     

Message 55 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok - when it rains it pours...but at least I"m still in the game.

Hubby has been out of work projects for the last 2 months (he is self employed)....we have not paid things down, but used more credit to get by....ARGH.

However, next summer I will have a new job with almost double the salary - so if I can just squeak by until then I figure I can pay everything off in a matter of months.   Also - DH usually is way busier in the summer months....so we should be ok.

Still holding out for the landlord....they mentioned just selling us the house we are in this winter..I'd like that if we can swing it, but I know that we need to get the UTIL paid off/down so that the debt ratio isn't so out of whack.   I should get a decent bonus in December...but probably need it for the down payment rather than using it to pay things off.   I do have ONE option to borrow funds from someone to pay things down, but I don't really want to use it.   I'm hoping we can make it.  

I can now get 3 fico scores for free off my cards....I'm holding steady around 660-675 on all three.   Not great -but not bad....I got a few CLIs to help that % ratio - but hate to apply for much new to get a real jump on my total credit line balance/ratio thing and I keep paying down on the car....less than a year left on it and I'm tempted to take the bonus $$ and pay it off.   I figure that $250 a month would be better going to CC debt to get some of those back under 50% owed on.   At least I have credit and we are getting by...now to get it under control!     

I love how you're hanging in there and staying positive.  Sometimes, there are bumps along the road, but as long as you stay on the road, you should get to your destination. 

Thanks for sharing the ups and downs. Inspiring. Smiley Happy

Message 56 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's been a year since I started this blog....ups and downs...and still at it.   I can't believe I started this blog a year ago.   I just went back a re-read the whole thing!

I'm struggling with utility but recently added a Barclays card (like last month).  This is where I don't know if I was smart or stupid....I applied becasue DH is having job issues.  I wanted the extra credit line - just in case...IF things don't turn around soon, I already know that I cannot cover all the bills totally on my own.  When I did it before I had a second job...now we have more expenses (business insurance, etc. as well as min payments on the cards).   I can put a dent in some of the bills when I get my SEP bonus this year.   I still want to try to get into the NIFA program for the mortgage as well.   I have the $1,000 minimun saved up and am not touching it (actually $1500) but have to get those CCs paid down for debt/income ratio etc.   Also only owe about $2000 on hubbys car...then that payment can go toward CCs as well. 

Right now we are just keeping our heads above water...Hoping he gets something going again soon, or else I'm going for that 2nd job over the holidays....Just to keep from getting any deeper!

I cannot wait until I get my new Federal Job next summer.   My boss is going to be a Judge and I get to be his judicial assistant.  HUGE jump in salary for me and that is going to make things so much better.

The landlord hasn't mentioned anything about the house YET...She said she would let us know a while back and I decided not to say anything yet.....Originally the plan was to figure out a price and try to close in January IF we can get a mortgage.....Now I'm worried about the possible sucess of that process.   Here's hoping I can figure it all out in short order, because if I can....things will be so much better come July next year!  

Message 57 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding - Road to Mortgage! - UPDATE

Well all - I pulled the trigger!   

Our landlord offered to sell us the house.  SOOOOOO I contacted a loan officer - my landlord (who is a realtor) said Francisco is a miracle worker and if anyone can help us through the mortgage process he can!  

Well no automatic denial yet.   I was honest about everythng going on and he said he will figure something out.   Things are just kind of happening out of order for us.   I start a new governemnt job in July - which will practically double my salary.....but in the meantime we have to work with what we have. 

I have a large bonus check that I can use to pay off debt in December.   But I want Francisco to tell me which ones to pay.   I would assume the car because it is a relatively low balance for the amount of monthly payment.  (Pay off about $1500 to save $250 a month)   Then hit the little credit cards - because those $25 min payments add up - another $800 or so saves about $100 a month.    I can get the payments into the debt/income ratio...which will also raise my scores.....All of this is without my husbands income (self employed and has debt) so we are trying to leave him off for now.    I can always Quit Claim him 1/2 the house later. 

The only thing we haven't touched on his how my student loans will play into this mess.   I dont want off IBR because I am 5 years in and on paper they will forgive the unpaid balance.   Also when I start the government job I can flip it into the public service and I THINK they will forgive the balance in 5 more years (10 total.) 

I'm hoping we can make this work sooner rather than later.....Landlord would like to close the end of January......My pay gets weird in the interim.   I have been promised by my boss that he will make sure I am paid from Jan. 1 (when my job with the law partnership ends...because the partnership does).....but I will continue to work with him until we get to go to the courthouse when he becomes a federal judge.    But I may be contract or something at my current salary.   It gets weird...so I'm hoping for the soonest playout I can get.    If I ask my boss, he might write the bonus early....he knows about the house thing...and even said we should do it sooner rather than later - so he might help me out that way.   

Cross your fingers for us!  This was the goal all along!   Could I really be on the final stretch of the Road to Mortgage?   Smiley Happy 

Message 58 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well - things aren't looking to great.   Apparently my student loans are what are messing with my debt/income ratio.   I'm over by like $20 a month! 

Now I"m trying to scramble to find some cash so I have a little more down payment or something.   So Close! ARGH 

Ideas anyone? 

Message 59 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well - things aren't looking to great.   Apparently my student loans are what are messing with my debt/income ratio.   I'm over by like $20 a month! 

Now I"m trying to scramble to find some cash so I have a little more down payment or something.   So Close! ARGH 

Ideas anyone? 

Hey jlynn.

Sorry about the temporary setback what is the amount that you need to reduce your student loans by?  Or what percentage are they needing for a down payment?  Seems that the student loans is the most workable for you.    I know you'll get there.  Look how far you've come in a year.

Keep us posted.  Smiley Wink

Message 60 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.