cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding. Should I join PENFED and when?

tag
Funk-O-Meter
Contributor

Rebuilding. Should I join PENFED and when?

Credit rebuilder here. Going great. Gardening 3 cards and just got a CLI from AMEX to 6k. Going to be shopping for a used car loan in a few months and a morgage next year hopefully and I'm considering joining PENFED.

In know their conservative and will do a hard pull when I apply.

I know I can use that pull to apply for their products for up to 90 days.

I know they offer some of the best deals around and I'd be interested in apping with them in the years to come for auto's and morgates.

Can I get approved for an account?

Can I get approved for used car loan?

Should I do the $10 deposit thing?

If I can't get approved for anything now is it worth it to get my foot in the door and establish a relationship?

Here's my specs:

Orchard: $550

AMEX:  $6k

Chase:  $1k

AAOA: 10mo's

Oldest: 1y11mo

No negatives no lates

1 hard pull showing.

over all util: 16%

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Rebuilding. Should I join PENFED and when?

If your credit is dead clean, with no negatives, and low utilization you might get one of their cards.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

Re: Rebuilding. Should I join PENFED and when?

I opened with Penfed last week. Paid the 10 bucks. App'd for a card. With a solid EQ myfico of 681, car loan paid on time, and a few paid and closed CCs (before I knew about this forum), they denied me for a credit card. The person I spoke with said I could fax a recon letter to the department explain my ONE and ONLY almost two year old collection which is in dispute and possibly get a "starter" card. That being said, I do plan on keeping the account with them because of their outstanding offerings. The funny thing is, the day before that I was approved at USAA and Walmart, an installment loan and a for a secured by Cap1. 

I honestly think its worth it for the future. Good Luck!

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.