cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding - When does interest get added?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding - When does interest get added?

So I got my first card in a LONG time I'm currently gardening and working on my rebuild.

I'm just wondering when does interest get added to the card is it after the statement cuts, the day after the payment due date (if not PIF), or sometime in between?

Thanks! Just trying to stay on top of things.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Rebuilding - When does interest get added?

It should state on your T&C when interest is charged. Some cards (i.e. creditone) has no grace period so interest is charged from the date of purchase. Most cards with a grace period will not change interest if the statement balance is paid by the due date (there are exceptions such as cash advances). Generally any interest is added to your balance when the statement cuts.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read online it says Federal Law states that they can charge interest no sooner than 21 days from date of purchase so CreditOne would be violating that.

But I'm asking specifically in regards to Chase does anyone know if they do it when the statement cuts or not if paid in full by the due date? (Just because the interest rate is 23%)
Message 3 of 8
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I read online it says Federal Law states that they can charge interest no sooner than 21 days from date of purchase so CreditOne would be violating that.

But I'm asking specifically in regards to Chase does anyone know if they do it when the statement cuts or not if paid in full by the due date? (Just because the interest rate is 23%)

If you are not in a promotional period, they will charge you interest following the statement that was not paid in full.  You will pay interest on those previous month charges and etc.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay but when exactly. For example I just got my Kohl's Charge card and they said that interest will be added 2 days after the payment due date if not PIF by the due date which is about 4 weeks after the statement cuts.

So I'd like to know if this is the same for Chase or if it's different and how.
Message 5 of 8
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So I got my first card in a LONG time I'm currently gardening and working on my rebuild.

I'm just wondering when does interest get added to the card is it after the statement cuts, the day after the payment due date (if not PIF), or sometime in between?

Thanks! Just trying to stay on top of things.

Most cards will add the intrest the day after or two days after the due date if it has not been PIF. Intrest is usually calculated from your perchase date so you will have a lot added all at once and it is recalculated daily. When you fail to PIF they calculate the intrest from the perchase date to when you do PIF with intrest.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So as long as I PIF by when it says payment due date now interest will be charged?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So as long as I PIF by when it says payment due date now interest will be charged?

Who is the lender? Each lender has different methodology. Cap One for instance, calculates and adds interest due on the statement closing date. If payments equal to or exceeding the prior statement balance were made before the payment due date (three days before closing) regardless of the current balance, then no interest is due.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.