cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding after Chapter 13 discharge help!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding after Chapter 13 discharge help!!

Hello everyone longtime lurker here. First off like to say thank you!!!! You all are a wealth of information.

Okay here we go!! Chapter 13 discharged 3/17. Due to be removed 3/18...(went longer than 60 months too long to explain)

Anyway I was able to get in the NFCU thru the San Diego chapter before it closed, thanks to the info found here. I applied for the Visa Cash rewards was declined. Primary reason given Bankruptcy. I sent SM asking if secured card could be set up with same HP was told no.

Current FICO scores are EX 592, TU 504, EQ no score given. AAoA is 10 years on closed accounts in good standing.

I have one collection on EQ for $98 requested PIFD waiting for response. I have a mortgage that isn't being reported correctly. Currently trying to get it resolved.

Current accounts just applied within the last two weeks. Not showing on reports yet.

Capitol One Platinum $300 limit/bal $20
Discover secured $200 haven't received card yet
Victoria Secret $500 limit/bal $48
New York and CO $350 limit/bal $0

My question do I garden and wait 6 months to apply again for a NFCU credit card? Or should I just go ahead and open a secured card with them? Lastly do neither and just let these accounts age some to boost my score.

Thank you all in advance!!!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuilding after Chapter 13 discharge help!!

yeah I'd get the secured card to help with UTI. plus it graduates and builds that relationship. NFCU is stellar! 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 16
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

+1 on getting the secured card.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 16
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

See even Medicgrrl aproves of this message. No honestly NFCU is on their own scoring system internally so once you get that card and use it and PIF or keep it below 10% you'll be in like Flynn with them and start really getting some good increases down the road. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 4 of 16
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

They're my new fave...once my 13 dropped off my report, they gave me a card with a CL of $17,500. Prior to that, they approved a $5000 CLOC and an auto refi. I was 6 months post DC and my scores were around 640.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the quick responses. I will go ahead and get the NFCU secured card. Once I do that I shouldn't apply for any more credit? FYI.

Inquiries TU 5

EX 3

EQ 3 

New York and CO SCT

Victoria Secret  SCT

Message 6 of 16
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Do you still have the mortgage? Did you reaffirm it? If not, then you'll want to add an installment account. Look into the SSL technique listed under the General Credit forum. I would also get the collection resolved before applying for anything else, with the exception of the Alliant SSL.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I still have the mortgage. I'm just waiting for it to update on my credit report.  

Message 8 of 16
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

If you didn't reaffirm it, you may have problems getting them to update monthly.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what you mean in reaffirming it. I filed a chapter 13 not a chapter 7. I had an arreaged that was included in my Chapter 13 as well as other debts. That has since been satisfied hence the discharge of the 13. 

Also are you saying I shouldn't apply for the secured card with NFCU until I have the one collection that's only showing up on my EQ resolved? 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.