Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding after many years of neglect and poor decisions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding after many years of neglect and poor decisions

Hello .A few months ago I decided to remove my head from the sand and take control of my finances and work on my credit score.  After a horrendous divorce that left me in bad shape I have finally started to recover.  At the time of my divorce I was making 45k per year and have now worked my way up to 75k per year and I would like to buy a house soon.  I subscribed to the MyFico credit monitoring and my scores are 654 Eq 590 Tu and 628 Ex.  The biggest baddie on my report is my ex husbands auto charge off that was a joint account.  He stopped makng the payments in 2012 then disappeared.  The vehicle was finally recovered but he was still no where to be found so the lender went after me for the deficiency which was around 5000.00.  Had I known what I know now I would have paid the entire amount requesting a PFD but instead I settled for a lesser amount.  The account is showing closed with Ex and Tu. On EQ it still shows open but in the remarks says paid charge off.  I sent a dispute to EQ yesterday however  I'm wondering if I should contact the lender as well.  Any advice on that would be appreciated. Should I send them a goodwill letter asking them to remove altogether?. The account was paid off last April.  The lender was Harley Davidson Financial.  

I have 3 collections which I just got one to PFD this week, that one is only showing on TU now.  The 2nd one is Progressive for 180.00( ex's vehicle) which I plan on contacting them tomorrow and asking for a PFD.  I have had a Progressive for 15 years and without any late payments so I'm hoping that will help get it removed.  The 3rd is Pinnacle/Verizon for 44.00.  Another one of the ex's haunting me.  Both Progressive and Verizon had his address on file and I didn't know about them until I pulled my report.  I have heard the Pinnacle is tough and they would not help me on the phone.  I will PIF then ask for a delete and/or goodwill later.  

The last few years were tough and I should have started this much sooner but I was just stuck.  I applied for CC's occasionally and was always denied.  I was able to lease 2 vehicles with my dad as a co-signer and I have not missed any payments.  My current lease ends in  2 years and I'd like to be able to finance on my own.  So here is what I have done to start.  I applied and was approved for a Cap 1 secured card for 200.00 and added another 100 so that limit is 300.  A month later I applied  and was approved for a Cap 1 Platinum card with a 500.00 credit limit with a CLI after 5 months of payments.  A month later I applied and was approved for a Cap 1 QS card 500.00 limit and CLI increase after 5 months.  My utilization is 15%.  I went on quite a spree and was denied for Wal Mart, Barclay and BOFA.  I'm thrilled that I was able to get the 3 Cap One cards and I'd ultimately move my score up into the mid 700's.  I am concerned that it won't be possible due the the CO.  Is there anything else I can do?.  IM not applying for any more cards for awhile and all my accounts are on auto pay.  

I will will say I am so addicted to reading these boards and I am obsessed with raising my credit score.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding after many years of neglect and poor decisions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello .A few months ago I decided to remove my head from the sand and take control of my finances and work on my credit score.  After a horrendous divorce that left me in bad shape I have finally started to recover.  At the time of my divorce I was making 45k per year and have now worked my way up to 75k per year and I would like to buy a house soon.  I subscribed to the MyFico credit monitoring and my scores are 654 Eq 590 Tu and 628 Ex.  The biggest baddie on my report is my ex husbands auto charge off that was a joint account.  He stopped makng the payments in 2012 then disappeared.  The vehicle was finally recovered but he was still no where to be found so the lender went after me for the deficiency which was around 5000.00.  Had I known what I know now I would have paid the entire amount requesting a PFD but instead I settled for a lesser amount.  The account is showing closed with Ex and Tu. On EQ it still shows open but in the remarks says paid charge off.  I sent a dispute to EQ yesterday however  I'm wondering if I should contact the lender as well.  Any advice on that would be appreciated. Should I send them a goodwill letter asking them to remove altogether?  Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy  You have the choice of disputing directly with the creditor or thru the CRA but not both, since you disputed the error of it being an open account with the CRA you would wait for that dispute to complete before taking any other actions. You are right, in order to remove an account thats been paid you would use GW letters asking for it.     http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680         The account was paid off last April.  The lender was Harley Davidson Financial.  

I have 3 collections which I just got one to PFD this week, that one is only showing on TU now.  The 2nd one is Progressive for 180.00( ex's vehicle) which I plan on contacting them tomorrow and asking for a PFD.  I have had a Progressive for 15 years and without any late payments so I'm hoping that will help get it removed.  The 3rd is Pinnacle/Verizon for 44.00.  Another one of the ex's haunting me.  Both Progressive and Verizon had his address on file and I didn't know about them until I pulled my report.  I have heard the Pinnacle is tough and they would not help me on the phone.  I will PIF then ask for a delete and/or goodwill later.  

The last few years were tough and I should have started this much sooner but I was just stuck.  I applied for CC's occasionally and was always denied.  I was able to lease 2 vehicles with my dad as a co-signer and I have not missed any payments.  My current lease ends in  2 years and I'd like to be able to finance on my own.  So here is what I have done to start.  I applied and was approved for a Cap 1 secured card for 200.00 and added another 100 so that limit is 300.  A month later I applied  and was approved for a Cap 1 Platinum card with a 500.00 credit limit with a CLI after 5 months of payments.  A month later I applied and was approved for a Cap 1 QS card 500.00 limit and CLI increase after 5 months.  My utilization is 15%.  I went on quite a spree and was denied for Wal Mart, Barclay and BOFA.  I'm thrilled that I was able to get the 3 Cap One cards and I'd ultimately move my score up into the mid 700's.  I am concerned that it won't be possible due the the CO.  Is there anything else I can do?. You have done the best you can do for yourself already, you have the minimum of 3 bankcards I recommend the only other thing you need to do and it doesnt have to be today would be to get 1 store card. I would try the Shopping Cart Trick when the time comes or re app for Walmart, I would let your 3 bankcards all show at least 6 months of history before going for the store card and work on your derogs in between. IM not applying for any more cards for awhile and all my accounts are on auto pay.  

I will will say I am so addicted to reading these boards and I am obsessed with raising my credit score.  I caution you to not obsess with your score or you will drive yourself crazy, it is what it is and it will move up and down as you rebuild.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.