Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding after years of financial devastation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding after years of financial devastation

I've had some very difficult times that lasted many years. My credit was ruined. I am finally in a position to start rebuilding my credit. I got my first rebuilder card last year (TJMAX when I was school shopping for my neice.) I didn't think it would be approved but I got my first $200 credit line in nearly 10 years. That card gave me the push that I needed to get a few more cards and a 100 point increase on my score over the past year. I got an auto loan a few months ago (a used car at 3.54% interest, I was happy to get that rate.)

I still have some challenges. My average age of credit is low, of course. A family member has also used my SSN to apply for loans and the company that ran the credit checks (putting hard pulls on my credit) refused to remove the credit pull stating that they had permission (they never spoke with me to get permission and I was not seeking a home loan anywhere.) I can't file a police report because the family member is mentally ill and the last thing that she needs is to face jail time or other legal sanctions for her actions but I do want to find a way to dispute the pulls. I wish that I could change my SSN because that is the only way to stop the family member from using it.

I also have massive student loan debt that is on an income-based repayment plan (currently set at zero dollars a month.) Most of the negatives on my credit reports have fallen off by now (the only exception is a student loan that is reporting as "charged off".) I don't make enough to pay off any of that debt at the moment but I hope to one day be in a position to do so.

Anyway, I am new to the board. I've spent some time reading messages here but I have a lot to figure out for my situation.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding after years of financial devastation

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had some very difficult times that lasted many years. My credit was ruined. I am finally in a position to start rebuilding my credit. I got my first rebuilder card last year (TJMAX when I was school shopping for my neice.) I didn't think it would be approved but I got my first $200 credit line in nearly 10 years. That card gave me the push that I needed to get a few more cards and a 100 point increase on my score over the past year. I got an auto loan a few months ago (a used car at 3.54% interest, I was happy to get that rate.)

I still have some challenges. My average age of credit is low, of course. A family member has also used my SSN to apply for loans and the company that ran the credit checks (putting hard pulls on my credit) refused to remove the credit pull stating that they had permission (they never spoke with me to get permission and I was not seeking a home loan anywhere.) I can't file a police report because the family member is mentally ill and the last thing that she needs is to face jail time or other legal sanctions for her actions but I do want to find a way to dispute the pulls. I wish that I could change my SSN because that is the only way to stop the family member from using it.

I also have massive student loan debt that is on an income-based repayment plan (currently set at zero dollars a month.) Most of the negatives on my credit reports have fallen off by now (the only exception is a student loan that is reporting as "charged off".) I don't make enough to pay off any of that debt at the moment but I hope to one day be in a position to do so.

Anyway, I am new to the board. I've spent some time reading messages here but I have a lot to figure out for my situation.

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Contact SSA about new SS number explain why. As far as anything reporting thats not yours unless you follow the rules laid out in FCRA 605B then you are stuck with them.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.