Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding and paying current credit cards and closing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding and paying current credit cards and closing

I have cleaned my credit quite a bit and I am close to the point of paying all my cards off and stepping into the garden. I have some question pertaining to the cards I used during rebuilding. Should I close all cards with an anual fee? Most cards I have are less than a year old. Also one card in particular I wish to close yesterday because of the poor customer service and monthly fee however I have only had the card for a month. Will having a card open for a month hurt my credit? Will closing a credit card with a balance hurt my credit? Will closing credit cards before they are a year old hurt my credit? How do new lenders view 7 month old closed credit accounts? How do they view closed accounts wit balances?

Xace

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding and paying current credit cards and closing

Closing an account in good standing has little effect on your scores, but consider the following points:

If it is a positive reporting account, it will stay on your reports for 10 years.

You will be losing UTI room.  If you had a 500 limit, will you be Ok without it?  If you have balances, will the UTI still be under 10% over all?

You have already taken the hit for an INQ and your AAoA has already suffered.  Closing an account because of poor customer service is a gesture that may not be heard very far.  Is the customer service feature something you need very often?

I have never voluntarily closed an account that I had a balance on, so no experience there at all.

How much is the AF you are trying to save?  I am keeping mine open while I am rebuilding, the AF isnt excessive, under 75 a year and I'd rather keep them alive and with positive reporting for now.

I am not sure how closing accounts with a short history would look to lenders.  Perhaps if it is a long pattern, they might consider will the account being applied for today also be a 7 month deal?

Some lenders like Chase dont like to see more than 5 new accounts in 24 months.  Others have their own rules.  I'm thinking you opened new accounts, and they dont look for a corresponding account to see if it was closed, so you would lose a count there.  

Just offering things to consider.

GL

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.