Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit. $3000+ Charge-off.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding credit. $3000+ Charge-off.

First thank you for taking time a reading my post. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit from years of irresponsible personal finances. I have a joint loan with my wife from a credit union with which we still have an auto loan that is about to be paid for. We have a charge-off for a $3000+ personal loan. The last payment on the loan was in 3/2011 so it is still within SOL in my state. I would like to be responsible and pay it off to improve our score since we are wanting to purchase a house within the next (few) year(s). Our scores are both in the 560-570's and we still have a few other minor amount collections to work on.

What would be our best plan of action about this specific charge-off?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding credit. $3000+ Charge-off.

@Anonymous wrote:

First thank you for taking time a reading my post. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit from years of irresponsible personal finances. I have a joint loan with my wife from a credit union with which we still have an auto loan that is about to be paid for. We have a charge-off for a $3000+ personal loan. The last payment on the loan was in 3/2011 so it is still within SOL in my state. I would like to be responsible and pay it off to improve our score since we are wanting to purchase a house within the next (few) year(s). Our scores are both in the 560-570's and we still have a few other minor amount collections to work on.

What would be our best plan of action about this specific charge-off?

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

You would attempt what is known as the PFD (Pay for delete)  Here you will find some examples of PFD letters:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/td-p/2031275

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.