Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit after a Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding credit after a Bankruptcy

My bankruptcy was discharged at the end of Feb. My credit score jumped up from Mid 400's to 637. I have zero credit cards, and my only debt is my monthly mortgage payment. Should I apply for 1 secured credit card? Or, how do I start rebuilding my credit again. I want to get my credit back up to the high 700's, where it was 5 years ago. Losing a job was a killer for me financially. But, have been working again now for 2 years. Also, does money in a savings account do anything for credit score?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding credit after a Bankruptcy

@Anonymous wrote:

My bankruptcy was discharged at the end of Feb. My credit score jumped up from Mid 400's to 637. I have zero credit cards, and my only debt is my monthly mortgage payment. Should I apply for 1 secured credit card? Or, how do I start rebuilding my credit again. I want to get my credit back up to the high 700's, where it was 5 years ago. Losing a job was a killer for me financially. But, have been working again now for 2 years. Also, does money in a savings account do anything for credit score?

Welcome!

I bet you'd see some benefit if you added a CC or two. I'd maintain that for a year or more and then maybe consider a third.

Assets, like deposit accounts, don't do anything for your FICO. It doesn't matter if you have a net worth of $1 or $1billion, everyone has an equal shot at a high FICO.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Rebuilding credit after a Bankruptcy

+1

There is no question that, for the long-term, having revolving credit is a major part of building a solid credit score.

The dilemma is when to seek that credit.  Inquiries that dont result in approval will affect scoring for a year, and remain in your file for two years.

The sooner you get them, the less their impact on your AAoA.

I would do some shopping, and find secured cards that traditionally have a good shot at approval at your current score level before applying.  The Credit Card section of this forum is a good place to ask for recommendations.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.