cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit almost from scratch....Some advice needed.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding credit almost from scratch....Some advice needed.

After paying off a debt collection in May '17 (DirecTV) my FICO score became non-existent as there was nothing to report (FAKO=4!) and I had zero existing credit lines. I secured a credit line w/ CAP1 for $255 six months ago and have just now re-entered the FICO Zone. I currently have  TU 718,  EQ 697 & EX 614 (Exp has the debt hit on it). I thought I might do better to have more lines of credit: I got a secured Discover ($300), another CAP1 unsecured ($300) and an unsecured SYNC/Amazon Prime for $2,100. I was denied an unsecured Discover (because of the other recent Discover acct) and a Chase card (Amazon) that pulled my low EX score. All said I've incurred 7 HP's over 3 days. 

My questions are: How long do you all recommend I garden? Are 4 active accounts sufficient for boosting my FICO?  Assuming my current scores reflect my recent inquiries can I expect another big hit for the additional new credit? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding credit almost from scratch....Some advice needed.

@Anonymous wrote:

After paying off a debt collection in May '17 (DirecTV) my FICO score became non-existent as there was nothing to report (FAKO=4!) and I had zero existing credit lines. I secured a credit line w/ CAP1 for $255 six months ago and have just now re-entered the FICO Zone. I currently have  TU 718,  EQ 697 & EX 614 (Exp has the debt hit on it). I thought I might do better to have more lines of credit: I got a secured Discover ($300), another CAP1 unsecured ($300) and an unsecured SYNC/Amazon Prime for $2,100. I was denied an unsecured Discover (because of the other recent Discover acct) and a Chase card (Amazon) that pulled my low EX score. All said I've incurred 7 HP's over 3 days. 

My questions are: How long do you all recommend I garden? Are 4 active accounts sufficient for boosting my FICO?  Assuming my current scores reflect my recent inquiries can I expect another big hit for the additional new credit? Thanks!

A share secured personal loan would help boost you up some more. Other than that, just stand pat for the next 6-12 months and let those accounts age.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply Norman. Can you tell me if opening new accounts will negatively affect my FICO in addition to hits for the recent inquiries?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inquiries give you approx 2 pt decrease per for one year. A new secured loan account will drop your score a few points the first month or two but when it recovers you'll have the boost prev poster suggested.

I agree, garden new cards, get secured personal loan and just wait.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.