Established Member
KitriPrincess

Rebuilding credit & new CCs

Hi Everyone - I'm sorta confused on when to try and open a new credit card as part of the credit rebuilding process.  I'm not especially in need of credit at the moment, but I would like to get approved for a mortgage one of these days, and need help to point myself in that direction and get my scores up. 

I realize that this is a very particular question, so I'll provide some of my data below.  Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated.

My most recent scores are TU = 652; EQ = 607. AAoA = 10 years. 

Currently, I have 7 baddies which include:

1 student loan with late payments but is current now

3 credit card accounts which are paid off & closed but have 90+ day late payments associated to them (Citi, Chase, Shell/Citi)

3 credit card accounts which I am paying off but 90+ day late payments associated to them (Bof A x2, Discover). These accounts are also closed.

All accounts are current - no late payments in over a year.  I only have one open line of credit for $500 which is basically overdraft protection tied to my checking account, but it lists as revolving credit on the credit reports.  Currently it has 0 due, 0 late payments.  I expect to have all lines (except the student loan) paid off by May 2013.

I also have 2 collections on my reports:

1 paid collection for less than $100 (due to age off 12/2013)

1 collection that the CA has agreed to delete - not sure of the score bump this will give me

Thanks to anyone reading this long message :smileyhappy:

Community Leader
Valued Contributor
DaveSignal

Re: Rebuilding credit & new CCs

It will help to have around 3 active revolving credit lines, one of which reports a balance greater than $0 but less than 10% credit limit.  I think you will see an immediate increase in your FICO score as soon as you open two secured cards and they report, one with small balance.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:709
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Established Member
KitriPrincess

Re: Rebuilding credit & new CCs

Thanks very much!!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+