cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit, apply for another card or wait?

tag
rwt
New Contributor

Rebuilding credit, apply for another card or wait?

First off Id like to say thanks to everyone that has helped, I am new to the forum and have already gathered some great information. Of course there are some ups and downs with repairing credit but I am on the right path now and I have the patience for it to all come togetherSmiley Happy So on to my question, I have opened a secured capital one credit card a few months ago and I am keep the balance low and paying on time, should I consider another secured card or possible an unsecurd one? I have been working on paying off old debts, alot are old and falling off over the next few months. From what I have read its good to a have a couple cards but should I wait and see where my credit score is over the next few months? I am in no rush but on the other hand I would like to get the most out of what rebuilding credit can do. My scores are TU 621 classic 04, EX Fico V2 and EQ 581 Beacon 5. I know they are low for a unsecured card. WHat does everyone think?

Seedling:

Starting Score: 595
Current Score: 595
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Rebuilding credit, apply for another card or wait?

If you have stuff coming off in a few months I would just sit back use the card you have now as you have been and wait for your CRs to be the best possible before apping.

Message 2 of 5
rwt
New Contributor

thanks, sounds good too me!

Seedling:

Starting Score: 595
Current Score: 595
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

@rwt wrote:

First off Id like to say thanks to everyone that has helped, I am new to the forum and have already gathered some great information. Of course there are some ups and downs with repairing credit but I am on the right path now and I have the patience for it to all come togetherSmiley Happy So on to my question, I have opened a secured capital one credit card a few months ago and I am keep the balance low and paying on time, should I consider another secured card or possible an unsecurd one? I have been working on paying off old debts, alot are old and falling off over the next few months. From what I have read its good to a have a couple cards but should I wait and see where my credit score is over the next few months? I am in no rush but on the other hand I would like to get the most out of what rebuilding credit can do. My scores are TU 621 classic 04, EX Fico V2 and EQ 581 Beacon 5. I know they are low for a unsecured card. WHat does everyone think?

You answered your own question "Good credit is a marathon and not a sprint" 

Take your time a few months won't hurt you and scores may go up during that time if you keep doing what your doing now. 

When the baddies fall off you may see another score increase at that point make your choices 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 5
randyrhodes
Established Contributor

+1
Why take on another payment when you can put that money towards a baddie you may be able to PFD.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.