Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding credit, blindsided by 30 day late

tag
giants1986
Valued Member

Rebuilding credit, blindsided by 30 day late

Hi all,

A few years ago I opened a secured card with Open Sky to rebuild my credit after some issues. I have been doing well and have made sure to never miss a payment with any accounts I've opened since I started rebuilding. The other day however I got blindsided with a 30 day late from Open Sky which tanked my score 54 points. I did some digging and my online account no longer works and I cannot sign up with my account number. I haven't used the card or received a statement from them in over a year. I think what happened is the yearly fee was charged to the account, and then late fees were starting to be added.

Do I have any recourse since I have not received any accounts? I also have an email from a year ago stating I wanted to close the account to which they never responded. I would just like to pay the balance and have this resolved.

Has anyone had something similar happen and have favorable results having the late removed? It looks like it has only been reported to TransUnion so far.

Equifax - 682
Trans Union - 687
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Rebuilding credit, blindsided by 30 day late

If you consented to paperless billing, then their posting to your online account is adequate notice of billing due date.

You may have a case that your notification to close the account terminated any continued billing.

I would recommend filing a complaint under the Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA), contesting their holding of delinquecy on a closed account.

Message 2 of 3
mamatried
Contributor

Re: Rebuilding credit, blindsided by 30 day late

Have you tried calling them yet?

12/23/14: 536 | 4/4/18 714
MAJORS: Chase Slate, Amex Blue, Citi American Airlines, Gap Visa, Cap1 QS, Southwest, AQHA BOA, Discover, Chase Freedom, Citi Best Buy, Cap1 Platinum, BuyPower GM, US Bank H-D STORE Macy's, VS, Home Depot, Old Navy, Kohl's, J Crew, Venus, Care Credit, PayPal Credit LOANS Ally Auto, Prosper, American Financial Resources Home Mortgage (USDA Rural Development)
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.